Mysterious thief...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Do you think a possum would represent a danger to a Hermann's tortoise? Elsa is about 7 years old and is more than 6 inches long.
But they're nocturnal and she is locked up at night, so that shouldn't be an issue, now that I think about it.
I would buy the sticky mouse trap put a small piece of cuddle bone in the middle of the trap it won't hurt the animal but it will spend some time with the sticky board and learn to go else where !!

RayRay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
central texas
Reading this thread I can't decide if y'all are Australians or Americans, because possums are from Australia, and opossums are American :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Reading this thread I can't decide if y'all are Australians or Americans, because possums are from Australia, and opossums are American :p
Here in America they are properly called Opossums, but most people in the Southern United States tend to drop the "O" and call them 'possums. So I guess possums are both American AND Australian!
Except that they are totally different animals....And they also have possums in New Zealand. :p

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
I would buy the sticky mouse trap put a small piece of cuddle bone in the middle of the trap it won't hurt the animal but it will spend some time with the sticky board and learn to go else where !!

I dont like those traps they are not humane. At the school I work at they use them because kids can't snap their fingers in a glue trap.

ive had to tale several mice out and they said just throw them in the dumpster but I couldn't just do that and let them starve to death. So I put them down :(

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
Here in America they are properly called Opossums, but most people in the Southern United States tend to drop the "O" and call them 'possums. So I guess possums are both American AND Australian!
Except that they are totally different animals....And they also have possums in New Zealand. :p

Wait I thought it was pronounced possum but spelled opossum?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I dont like those traps they are not humane. At the school I work at they use them because kids can't snap their fingers in a glue trap.

ive had to tale several mice out and they said just throw them in the dumpster but I couldn't just do that and let them starve to death. So I put them down :(
I agree that those sticky traps are terribly cruel. :( I've never used them.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Wait I thought it was pronounced possum but spelled opossum?
No, the actual name is "opossum" and is correctly and formally pronounced "opossum. I've known Northerners who say "Opossum." :p

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
And New Guinea!

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
i dont think australians can possibly keep that many different species of turtles and tortoises legally as pets

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

I completely agree! I used them once and it was horrifying seeing that poor mouse with its little foot stuck. Next we tried the green poison placed in a place where the pets couldn't get to and my dog ate a poisoned mouse. Luckily it didn't hurt him. Then we got a cat. Problem solved.