Sulcata Burrowing?

Buranman87

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey all, I have a 6-month-old sulcata tortoise who's doing really well! I have a big 4' x 4' enclosed outdoor enclosure for her, she eats a lot, is super active, and has a tough shell. I have 2 questions- I've had 2 cuttlebones in her enclosure for over a month now, and she hasn't taken one bite! I sprinkle calcium carbonate on her food, and her shell is tough, but it's like she doesn't even notice the cuttlebones. Any ideas why this might be? Also, she doesn't burrow! she never has, even though her enclosure has nice, deep substrate. I've tried to promote it by making little indents in the substrate, and she always sleeps in the little pits I make, but doesn't burrow herself? is this normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all, I have a 6-month-old sulcata tortoise who's doing really well! I have a big 4' x 4' enclosed outdoor enclosure for her, she eats a lot, is super active, and has a tough shell. I have 2 questions- I've had 2 cuttlebones in her enclosure for over a month now, and she hasn't taken one bite! I sprinkle calcium carbonate on her food, and her shell is tough, but it's like she doesn't even notice the cuttlebones. Any ideas why this might be? Also, she doesn't burrow! she never has, even though her enclosure has nice, deep substrate. I've tried to promote it by making little indents in the substrate, and she always sleeps in the little pits I make, but doesn't burrow herself? is this normal?
At six months old the tortoise should be living mostly indoors, with occasional one or two excursions to the great outdoors when the weather is warm and sunny. Outdoors all the time is not good for babies.

Sulcatas don't usually burrow until they start nearing maturity. I've had and 8 or 10 inch one burrow on occasion, but that is unusual. Babies never burrow. They will sometimes shimmy down into their substrate like a stingray in sand, but they don't normally "burrow".

Buranman87

Southern California
At six months old the tortoise should be living mostly indoors, with occasional one or two excursions to the great outdoors when the weather is warm and sunny. Outdoors all the time is not good for babies.

Sulcatas don't usually burrow until they start nearing maturity. I've had and 8 or 10 inch one burrow on occasion, but that is unusual. Babies never burrow. They will sometimes shimmy down into their substrate like a stingray in sand, but they don't normally "burrow".
Great! Thanks a ton. My sulcata is in an enclosed enclosure outside if that makes any sense. I have a clear roof that hinges off to keep in humidity, and I mist daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great! Thanks a ton. My sulcata is in an enclosed enclosure outside if that makes any sense. I have a clear roof that hinges off to keep in humidity, and I mist daily.
It doesn't make sense. Temps swing far too much outside. And if you are having to mist daily, then there is too much ventilation and you are losing too much heat and humidity. A closed chamber never needs to be misted. Your baby should be inside with stable, mild temps and conditions.

Outdoors with a heated shelter is great for larger juveniles and adults. Babies need to be inside.