Flash and Mr. Binker both burrowing?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
Both Flash and Mr. Binker (formally known as Blaze) have both been digging/burrowing seeping in their substrate. Flash is a box turtle (17+ year) and Mr. Binker is a red foot (8 months).

Flash's temps are 75 on the cool side and 85 on the hot side, 100 under her basking lights and 75 at night with 75-80% humidity.

Mr. Binker is in closed chamber with temps of 85 on the cool side, 95 on the hot side and 110 under his basking light (which he never basks under), the night temps are 85 and his humidity is 85-90%.

Both eat, drink and poop regularly. Flash will come out of her burrow when she hears me mess around in her enclosure, Mr. Binker, not so much. He actually does not move around much at all.. And I am pretty concerned about that, I take him out in the front courtyard to get real sun and to move around every other day. Flash has been out several times in the last month, especially when a monsoon storm hits because she really seems to enjoy stomping around the grass in the warm rain.

Any ideas why both of them would be burrowing? Should I get fecal tests done or take them to the vet?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I have a feeling that Mr. B is too hot. Reds tend to do well in the 80-85F temps with a low 90s basking spot. I think reds and boxies require the same type of environment. In any case, when all requirements are fulfilled, burrowing is still the norm for reds especially when they're babies.

Check out http://www.tortoiselibrary.com for more info on redfoot care.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you so much!! I will maybe turn off the basking light... Since the enclosure stays at 85 during the day anyway. I will read through the care sheet again and adjust accordingly. I purchased some friendship plants and more moss from one of the online reptile stores, the should be here next week. I have had the hardest time getting plants to thrive in s enclosure, probably because it's too hot. But those are tropical, so hopefully the will flourish and give him some more cover.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Not a problem. Feel free to ask any questions when you get into a snag. Plants will definitely do better if you lower the temps. High 70s to low 80s is the best range for houseplants (tropical). Just make sure you get plants that aren't "full sun".

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Does seem a little hot. Torts will try and burrow/ run away to cooler temps if they feel to toasty!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thanks again. I don't know why I thought the baby needed higher temps. I will keep the asking light off tomorrow, which will keep it around 85 and see how he acts.