Something is going on with Flash's tail..?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I was taking photos of her to post here and noticed her tail is weird.. it's like bent and stuck up under her top shell..?

I found your wonderful vetrinary list and am going to call and make an appointment for her with one of the recommended clinics in Tucson; I wish I had noticed sooner so I could have gotten her an appointment for tomorrow, since I will be up there because one of my chi's has to have knee surgery... hopefully they can get me in this weekend. She really needs her beak filed too.

I am such a horrible, horrible guardian.

Flash's poor butt:
flashBack.jpg

Flash's overgrown beak:
flashSide.jpg

Flash's utterly disgusted with me:
flashFront.jpg

Man. I suck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beaks not so bad and are you sure the tail can't come out? I wouldn't think it could get stuck. Have you tried pulling it out too the side and out? Maybe try a warm soak and see. Don't be hard on yourself, you don't suck. Your doing just fine. Nice looking boxie btw.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Your box turtle is cute and no you don't suck. I am glad you are here so I can see more boxie pictures!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's nothing wrong with Flash or with you taking care of Flash. Give yourself a break. How often do any of us look at our animal's nether parts. Like Barb (Wellington) said, just soak the turtle in warm water for about 20 minutes and everything will be fine.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
What a cute little bottom your tort has. The tail is just pointed up, as long as he is going to bathroom okay, you should have no problem.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Looking at that picture *something* is wrong with that tail. I would bet if you were to pull that piece of skin off you would be looking at some type of open infection. With that said, a Box Turtle feeding on whole prey items should not have excess beak growth like that. Time for a husbandry change....

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Something is going on with Flash's tail..?

EricIvins said:
Looking at that picture *something* is wrong with that tail. I would bet if you were to pull that piece of skin off you would be looking at some type of open infection. With that said, a Box Turtle feeding on whole prey items should not have excess beak growth like that. Time for a husbandry change....

I dont think it'd be as severe as an infection, as there would more tell tale signs around the area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you enlarge the picture you can see that the skin around the tail is peeling off. I think a visit to a vet is in order.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
EricIvins said:

In this situation I think it would be helpful to suggest changes in a friendly manner.

eg/ make sure you feed .... so that .... etcs.

Also... littleginsu your tortoise looks lovely. You are being a responsible owner by taking her to the vets.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you all.

I do agree, I have not taken care of Flash like I should have... I have been making many mistakes along the way. Unfortunately, at the time I got Flash (in August of 1997) the abundance of resources that are available today (e.g. TortoiseForum.org) did not exist and since she appeared healthy and was still alive after 16 years in my care, I figured I was doing OK.

But since my short time here, I have learned there are so many things I could do better to make Flash's life more fulfilling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Littleginsu:

Isn't it amazing how when we're ignorant of the correct care the animal lives and thrives, but as soon as we educate ourselves they seem to go downhill? I don't know why that is, but I hear it all the time.

I'm sure your tortoise is going to be ok. Just find out what's wrong with that tail, get the beak filed down, and it will be just fine.

Did you soak the turtle yet and see if the tail comes un-stuck?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tffnytorts said:
EricIvins said:

I dont think it'd be as severe as an infection, as there would more tell tale signs around the area.

That is not true at all. I've seen many Turtles/Tortoises that had massive infections that were not outwardly visable. Matter of fact, last year I lost a really nice Incisa to a tail infection that was only visable once the skin eventually sloughed off. What I post is from direct experience....

Joanne said:
EricIvins said:

In this situation I think it would be helpful to suggest changes in a friendly manner.

eg/ make sure you feed .... so that .... etcs.

Also... littleginsu your tortoise looks lovely. You are being a responsible owner by taking her to the vets.

That was being "friendly". Some people don't hold hands and sing kumbaya when it comes to an animal that is having issues...