Spur thigh has kink in tail?

EWilko93

Location (City and/or State)
West Sussex
So last year I noticed my spur thigh has a bend or kink in its tail. It was sort of hard like the rough skin on your elbow or knee and seemed to be stuck bent. We took it to the vet and they said to just keep soaking and massaging and if nothing changed then they could either do a very costly op or euthanise! Well nothing ever did change but it continues to be active, eating and drinking well so with money very tight and not wanting to euthanise for no apparent reason we left it.

does anyone have any ideas as to whether it's just a deformity or whether there could be something stuck or what!

ive tried to get some pictures to show what it's like...

B84CE9BB-633F-4DF4-92AE-383BE65F8BF4.jpegC6C630C3-B784-4104-9869-7E9F78FB19D9.jpeg1CEEF54F-03CA-4604-BFD2-61DE0BF652AB.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could be an abcess. Could be how the tail recalcified if there were any MBD when this tortoise was younger.

I'd leave it alone. If the tortoise is fine I see no reason to operate or euthanize.

EWilko93

West Sussex
Ok great will do.
When I first noticed it I was so worried it was blocked and wouldn't be able to go to the toilet but after we came back from the vet and it went to the toilet I was certainly less worried hence why I've just left it and kept an eye.
We got it not long before I noticed it's tail so not sure on its upbringing from a hatchling.
Also I'm calling it an it as I'm not sure on the sex because of the funny tail - any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell, but because the tail isn't very big I'm thinking it may be female. Have you been able to see what the tail looks like when the tortoise poops? Does it straighten out then?

EWilko93

West Sussex
Hard to tell, but because the tail isn't very big I'm thinking it may be female. Have you been able to see what the tail looks like when the tortoise poops? Does it straighten out then?
I have another picture which shows the cloaca - that might be a better way to tell? I havnt actually seen it go to the toilet but I have seen after it's just been and it's messy, all stuck round the tail and under the shell so im pretty sure it doesn't straighten out.

817BBF8F-CE38-40E4-9956-FC3F2193EE26.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, the rule of thumb for Mediterranean tortoises is star shaped = female and slit = male. That looks like a slit, however, the tail is so small?????