C&c enclosure

Bookaddict25

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi! I decided to build a c&c enclosure for my russian, Nicolai. C&C's are typically built for guinea pigs, but I needed the enclosure to fit my small space, and be adaptable. C&C stands for cube and choroplast (corrugated plastic). It uses those wire cube shelves that you can design any which way. His new enclosure measures 9'4" long by 1'4" wide at the narrowest and he's got a play yard area that measures 3'3"x4 wide. I'd like everyone's input on the idea. What's nice about it is that I can change the dimensions anytime without too much hassle. I also intend on building him a second level so he'll have more room to roam, although since I've gotten him he's been buried a lot! Right now I'm working on ambient heat ideas since it's so open. I've ordered a few ceramic heat emitters.
Oh! I also designed it so my cat has a hidey maze underneath!

Attachments

• 20180121_192037.jpg
    20180121_192037.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20180121_191813.jpg
    20180121_191813.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The length is good the width isn't, should be at least 4 feet wide for an adult.
Also because it is so open, most of the area is going to be colder then In the area the actual heat is, unless your room is kept very warm.
I would cover the areas without a heat element to try and keep some heat and also humidity, 50% in unless there is a humid hide.

Bookaddict25

Pennsylvania
The length is good the width isn't, should be at least 4 feet wide for an adult.
Also because it is so open, most of the area is going to be colder then In the area the actual heat is, unless your room is kept very warm.

I would cover the areas without a heat element to try and keep some heat and also humidity, 50% in unless there is a humid hide.
I know it's not as wide as it should be, but unfortunately, 4ft wide would take up my entire livingroom. Until it warms up, I don't have that space. Also, he was living in a 20 gallon tank with his previous owner so it's a huge upgrade. Not discounting your concern, I'm just making the best of the situation. He will have a large outdoor pen in the summer.

Currently, his ambient temp is around 73. I know that's chilly. The humidity is 69% because I keep the substrate moist. I have a humid hide (a plastic guinea pig house with a reptile heating pad underneath) which is staying nice and warm at 98%, but he's not using it yet. He really just keeps burying himself under the lamp. He doesn't even stay out to bask unless I put food in front of him.