Cabin-fever Aquisitions! & lighting question.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland County, MI
So we've had this empty 2'x2'x18" terrarium for over a year now, burning a hole in my proverbial pocket. Last weekend, I got an opportunity to pick up a couple Crimson Giant Day Geckos. Call it cabin-fever or a desire to work on a project that didn't include dirty diapers, but I had this up in a day...and best yet, I only had to spend $9 for the coir bedding. And I have 3 less plants to dust around 'cause I threw them in too!
Question: need to buy a UV light. Are coil bulbs okay for geckos? I know they're not for chameleons at all & we avoid them for our Beardeds. I asked in the gecko forum & no one responded.
Don't judge me for rushing into it & not being prepared. I'm a first-time, stay-at-home mother who has no car and precious little adult conversation who desperately wanted a non-baby project...and I love building vivariums. Too, these geckos would still be in deli-cups had I not nabbed them...

Attachments

• gecko.jpg
    gecko.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 44
  • gecko_1.jpg
    gecko_1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 46
  • gecko_2.jpg
    gecko_2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 42

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Plainfield, IN
I would say no to the coil bulb, just to be safe. I'm not sure if they need UV and how much. I would recommend dusting their food with calcium + vitamin D either way.