Cacti

snivloc16

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
A friend of mine has this growing i their yard. Wondering what type of cacti it is and if it’s tortoise safe? IMG_1523834105.394844.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
I don't know the exact variety but it is a type of Opuntia cactus. It's SAFE and actually very good for them

snivloc16

Kansas
Do I need to do anything to the spines on it? Or just feed as is?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Your tort probably won't have any issues with the spines but they can end up in the substrate and give YOU a nasty surprise.
I recommend wearing a thick leather glove and using a pair of cooking tongs to hold the pad and then use a large knife to scrape the worst of them off. Then rinse hard with water.

snivloc16

Kansas
Your tort probably won't have any issues with the spines but they can end up in the substrate and give YOU a nasty surprise.
I recommend wearing a thick leather glove and using a pair of cooking tongs to hold the pad and then use a large knife to scrape the worst of them off. Then rinse hard with water.

Ok I can do that. Thank you for the advice!!!

turtlelog

northeast texas
With those same thongs, I hold the pad over the gas stove burner and lightly burn the stickers. (Sear) then the scraping is much easier. They truly do love it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy a heavy duty plastic pad from the janitorial supply store - those large circular pads made for floor cleaning machines, cut it up into manageable size pieces, then scrub the cactus with the piece of plastic material. When finished, toss the piece of plastic. (I also use those pads in my pond filter)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A friend of mine has this growing i their yard. Wondering what type of cacti it is and if it’s tortoise safe? View attachment 236140
It looks like one that I grow and believe it's a spineless type of humifusa.humifusa 1.jpg humifusa 2.jpg During the growth season if kept watered, the few tiny spines they do have are almost non existent and shouldn't bother your tortoise. During dry spells and when dormant over winter the spines are more prevalent and pads are tougher but still can be fed.