Cacti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Does anyone know of a good supplier where one can buy prickly pear cactus pads and fruit?
Also, do they save well in the fridge or do they expire quickly?
(I ask this because if I'd prefer to buy them in bulk if the save well).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Best not in frig. Source, Tortoise supply. Also, plant some. They are very cold hardy and easy to grow.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Best not in frig. Source, Tortoise supply. Also, plant some. They are very cold hardy and easy to grow.

Can they be grown in pots?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I mix some topsoil with playground sand, 50-50. Grab a couple pads and bury them about halfway into the substrate. Water them once a month at the most. If it rains, don't bother. Just stick them in the sand-soil mix and leave them alone, they'll grow like weeds.

crussellii

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Redstrike said:
I mix some topsoil with playground sand, 50-50. Grab a couple pads and bury them about halfway into the substrate. Water them once a month at the most. If it rains, don't bother. Just stick them in the sand-soil mix and leave them alone, they'll grow like weeds.

Do they grow well in doors? I live in SW PA and our weather gets cold in the winter.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I've bought the pads a few times from carolinapetsupply.

I tried buying the fruits online one time and by the time they arrived, they were horribly spoiled. In fact, the box was oozing. So that was the first and last time I bought the fruits.

I stick with the pads now. I just bought 2lbs from an ebay seller and I'm planning to plant several of them. Maybe I will grow my own fruits.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
So you can just cut off a pad and plant it? I just bought one that is potted but if I can cut off a few of its pads to grow more that would be SUPER! I love how my new tortoise hobby has also give me a gardening hobby!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
LuckysGirl007 said:
So you can just cut off a pad and plant it? I just bought one that is potted but if I can cut off a few of its pads to grow more that would be SUPER! I love how my new tortoise hobby has also give me a gardening hobby!

Yes. In fact any pads that fall off larger plants usually start rooting right away.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
crussellii said:
Redstrike said:

Do they grow well in doors? I live in SW PA and our weather gets cold in the winter.

Opuntia humifisa's range encompasses much of the east coast, including Penn. Just leave them out for the winter and they'll be fine. Most can tolerate temperatures down to -20. The desert gets cold at night.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ophu

Status
Not open for further replies.