How to prepare Cactus pad?

taza

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
I bought a spineless prickly pear cactus for the tune of $90.00 ouch!!!! I haven't been able to buy pads here. My question is how do you feed it to hatchlings. Do you have to peel it.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well first thing I would do ( at $90.00 ) is start a cutting . Break off a pad and let it start to dry . Now do you have a large tort or a small tort ? I would cut the pad into 3 inch squares and give a square to your tort . Send a pict to us of it eating .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Well first thing I would do ( at $90.00 ) is start a cutting . Break off a pad and let it start to dry . Now do you have a large tort or a small tort ? I would cut the pad into 3 inch squares and give a square to your tort . Send a pict to us of it eating .

Yeah at that prices I would be starting cutlings as often as possible.

I'm lucky, I can just walk all of a couple hundred feet and harvest wild cactus.

Elohi(Earth)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I pick the young pads because they are more tender than the older ones. Then I scrub it with a plastic pot scrubber like Scotch Brite (except I buy them at the dollar store for cheaper) and scrub all the spines off. Then I use a potato peeler and peel off the tough outer layer. You don't need to peel it for older tortoises, but babies have a hard time biting through the tough outer layer. Then I cut it up into small pieces or put it through a cheese grater and mix it up with his other greens.

taza

5 Year Member
Yes I will start some cuttings. I have been doing some research on how to do it. Hopefully it will work.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I know what you mean I have 2 - 4 x4 gardens right out my back door plus a bunch in my back yard
But I don't know why she didn't buy a pad on line and just plant it in a pot . But thank you for the reply and have a great tort day

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I pick the young pads because they are more tender than the older ones. Then I scrub it with a plastic pot scrubber like Scotch Brite (except I buy them at the dollar store for cheaper) and scrub all the spines off. Then I use a potato peeler and peel off the tough outer layer. You don't need to peel it for older tortoises, but babies have a hard time biting through the tough outer layer. Then I cut it up into small pieces or put it through a cheese grater and mix it up with his other greens.

Yvonne, I have a question about cactus and other succulents. How often can they be fed? I ask because my torts love it and it seems like an ultra healing/hydrating food but then they also poop 10x their body weight when they eat cactus LOL.
I know a balanced variety is key but I assume desert torts and african tortoises find cactus more often than many other species right?

Elohi(Earth)

taza

5 Year Member
tortoisesupply has difficulty shipping to canada otherwise I would have. I could have driven a couple of hour away but the gas money etc would have worked out almost as much.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
What about eBay Taza? Can you order from there?

Elohi(Earth)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only feed cactus a couple times a week.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's life the bad people can ship drugs all over the world but we cannt ship one cactus pad to a friend .

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
I have pads which I replanted and they have begun to grow. They are growing in the enclosures, but I notice the tortoises never eat them - is this because of the thorns? Is the only way they eat them is if you scrub and prepare them?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
As far as feeding to young torts...you can simply emulsify it in a food processor...kind of a slime...but they slurp it up like crazy.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You can remove thorns if you want but I think the problem is some torts don't like the larger pads they prefer pads about the size of your hand

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only feed cactus a couple times a week.
Me too. Mostly during sumer because everything else dries up and dies. In summer they get lots of cactus, Mazuri, grass clippings, cuttings from my testudo mix seeds from Tyler, and mulberry leaves. In winter they eat all the native weeds and grasses that sprout up. This heat wave is completely destroying my remaining weeds for the season...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My question is how do you feed it to hatchlings.

For hatchlings I only feed them the small tender brand new sprouting pads. I feed them the little pads whole and uncut. This means you'll need to pot it and wait a bit for some new growth. The bigger pads are too thick and messy. Trying to cut it or peel it for hatchling sized mouths results in a slimy mess.

Last edited:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
For that 90 big ones, I would have replanted and wait for it to grow. The smaller pads that grows on it would be grate for hatchings.