Cactus Blooms so many this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I read teri's thread about blooms and new growth and Tom mentioned how many more blooms he has this year also, I noticed that I have a greater number of blooms on mine,and I'm 3000 miles east of him so it can't just be the weather. has anyone else noticed a difference in their plants?Here's a pic taken today of a few pads. I have never had so many blooms on one pad,notice the bloom at the top with 2 small blooms starting to show at the base of it.------also I have this night blooming cactus that opened tonight does any one know what type it is? I got it off Lowes almost dead rack a couple years ago. Len

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
That is the most new blooms I have ever seen on a cactus. Looks healthy also.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your other cactus looks like my organ pipe cactus. Got any more pics of it? If that's what it is, I feed it a couple of times a month. I stick a fork in it near the top, hack off about a foot of it, and lay it flat on a counter. Then I hack the rounded top off, stick the fork in the now flat end, and stand it up to cut the spines off. I just slide the knife right down the length of it, cutting off the rows of spines and most of the skin with them. When they were smaller, I would cut it up into small pieces after all that, but now I just feed it to them whole.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Our opuntia stocks seem to be struggling this year, not sure if they have been over harvested or what. There seems to be a white film on the plants, but our vets assure me it is still tort safe-thoughts as to what it could be? Sorry, i do not have any pictures. The film looks like the wax found on grocery store fruit-like apples, when you rub it, along with what appears to be spider webbing...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are a couple of pic of mine from last week. I'm getting much more pad growth this year too. I have around 25 of them ranging in age from a few months old to 3 years old. They grow pretty slow for me. Maybe because I'm always hacking on them... haha
vsfmhk.jpg

2b8p68.jpg

And here is my organ pipe cactus:
ighydv.jpg

2uqi2xw.jpg

333er9i.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your night-bloomer is a tall cactus (like Tom's organ pipe), then it is in the cereus family, but I don't know the "sub-species" name.

If it grows in a clump and stays low to the ground, its echinopsis.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We have a night blooming extremely tall cactus that is throwing blooms right now. Some of them we knock off and feed to RV, the rest we leave to go to fruit. Sorry I don't know the name.

You can see how big they get..
maryandsport1020.jpg

RV enjoying the bounty..
maryandsport1026.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.