Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mine don't like it either.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What kind of self-respecting DT won't eat cactus pads? I've served them cut small, cut large, alone, mixed in with greens...I don't know what else to try.
@RosemaryDW, now I feel your pain with cilantro.

Lol.

Mine has a love/hate relationship with cactus but I wouldn’t have expected it with a DT. Interesting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
None of my tortoises would eat it at first either. Now they eat it like candy and its a primary food source for them all summer long.

If they are used to lettuce and grass, they don't see it as food. It will take time for them to try it and get used to it. Keep mixing it in with the other foods and in time it will become a favorite. This might take a month or two. And in this case, for a DT, it is really worth the time and effort since this is one of their natural foods, and its really good for them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
won't eat cactus pads?

~ Some may have never have been exposed and have no idea, simply introduction as a food source may be needed.

~ We start all of our hatchlings on cactus, finely chopped and always have it available.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
None of my tortoises would eat it at first either. Now they eat it like candy and its a primary food source for them all summer long.

If they are used to lettuce and grass, they don't see it as food. It will take time for them to try it and get used to it. Keep mixing it in with the other foods and in time it will become a favorite. This might take a month or two. And in this case, for a DT, it is really worth the time and effort since this is one of their natural foods, and its really good for them.
Yes, I know you have said on multiple occasions to feed DT's lots of opuntia. I am just amazed that he doesn't see it as food. He hasn't needed encouragement to eat different kinds of greens. Go figure.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
~ Some may have never have been exposed and have no idea, simply introduction as a food source may be needed.

~ We start all of our hatchlings on cactus, finely chopped and always have it available.

Some day he'll eat it like that! Love the crunching! I'll keep working with him. I wonder what he was fed before I got him...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Some day he'll eat it like that! Love the crunching! I'll keep working with him. I wonder what he was fed before I got him...

~ Try chopping it up very fine and into tiny pieces, honestly i have never know any of ours not to eat it. We always offer it and have it available. At times they choose other food options, especially the females, however the choice is always there.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Look who's eating cactus! It took 3 days to do this!
In case my method may help anyone else, here's what I did.
I used a "can't avoid it" approach. First, I met Chug coming out of his burrow, and thus hungry, and hand fed him veggie rolls. In his case, this was diced cactus wrapped in romaine or radicchio. You know, the "hide the pill in cheese" trick we all use for our dogs. I actually can't believe Chug fell for this!
Second, I took a sizable hunk of cactus along with a little water, and food processed it into a creamy salad dressing, which was poured onto his pile of greens, and well mixed in to cover everything.
Finally, I diced up a smallish amount and added it to his greens.
After doing this for 3 mornings, last evening I hand fed him a veggie roll, then just a piece of cactus.
Voila! Success!20180628_093609.jpeg20180628_093619.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All good techniques! Thanks for sharing what worked and your success! :)

Once they try it, they seem to really like it. I think something about it must just "feel" right to them.