Cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Can I feed this wild grown cacti to my Greek tort? I found it growing wild and cut a piece of so I could plant my own cacti. Before I plant it to want to know if it's ok for a Greek tort to eat this. I don't know what type of cacti it is so if u could tell me that would be good. It is spineless and a medium green color

image-1691095108.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Spineless opuntia. Good stuff. Plant away. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
cut that pad in half, let it sit and let the cut end dry, Then place in a sandy and or well drained soil and let it grow.
The other half you can feed or plant it too and go get more!

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
qixer01 said:
does it have the little prickly hairs on it?

Nope. I touched it carefully to see if it did and it don't have any at all. It was really smooth with a little tiny spine hear or there. I think I only found two spines on it

Tom said:
Spineless opuntia. Good stuff. Plant away. :)

And thank u Tom!

qixer01

10 Year Member!
I would love to find some like that. All of it here has the spines And the little prickly hairs.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
qixer01 said:
I would love to find some like that. All of it here has the spines And the little prickly hairs.

Yah, I was lucky to find some here. Iv been looking around alot for it and finally found sone

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When it starts growing for you, there might be more spines or glocchids on the new growth. If that happens, either burn the spines off over an open flame or rub them off with thick rubber gloves under running water. Many times I have planted totally spineless pads and had spiny little devils grow out of them. When you find a good variety that grows nice spineless pads, propagate the heck out of it and give to all your friends too.

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
I found cactus leaves ($1.19/lb.) at the grocery store in the produce section. I fed this to our Russians, and they loved it. New to tortoises, I love experimenting with food for the gals.

PhotoCrop_2013-01-10_07-55-27-PM.jpgPhotoCrop_2013-01-10_07-55-27-PM.jpg
WITortoiseMom said:
I found cactus leaves ($1.19/lb.) at the grocery store in the produce section. I fed this to our Russians, and they loved it. New to tortoises, I love experimenting with food for the gals.

One (Truffles) likes the trimmings from my Christmas cactus too. Living in WI during the winter, we have to be creative with our greens...

Attachments

• PhotoCrop_2013-01-10_07-56-10-PM.jpg
    PhotoCrop_2013-01-10_07-56-10-PM.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Danrjc

5 Year Member
If I get a cacti pad from the pet store can I do the same idea, dry it out and plant it??

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
We have a Christmas cactus :) I did not know they were safe for tortoises. Glad to know that information. Thanks!

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
I buy spineless oputia every month from riven rock....i get 9 lbs shipped to my door monthly, I have planted it and it does grow but only in a pot here where I live, frozen 4 months out of the year!

Danrjc

5 Year Member
I've grown dieter cactus before and it's cold 4 months of the year yet didn't know if I could plant the pads

Status
Not open for further replies.