Caging two tortoises together?

Mr. turtle

Since the leopard tortoise, and the Indian star tortoise have almost the exact same caring, could i keep them together in a cage?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
No.
Tortoises can sometimes be okay in groups but not in pairs, they will fight, or bully each other, for food, best basking spot, place to sleep etc. Tortoises are solitary territorial animals and don't want or need friends.
See http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/is-it-okay-to-keep-tortoises-in-pairs.160189/#post-1518274
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
There are many other threads on the same topic.
Secondly, mixing species is not a good idea, pathogens can be spread from species to species, something that is harmless to one species can infect and kill another.
And http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/mixing-species.139808/
Tortoises shouldn't be in cages. Glass, wooden or even plastic enclosures are necessary especially for the species that you mentioned that need high humidity, impossible to achieve in a cage.

Reactions: Tom

Mr. turtle

No.
Tortoises can sometimes be okay in groups but not in pairs, they will fight, or bully each other, for food, best basking spot, place to sleep etc. Tortoises are solitary territorial animals and don't want or need friends.
See http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/is-it-okay-to-keep-tortoises-in-pairs.160189/#post-1518274
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Secondly, mixing species is not a good idea, pathogens can be spread from species to species, something that is harmless to one species can infect and kill another.
Tortoises shouldn't be in cages. Glass, wooden or even plastic enclosures are necessary especially for the species that you mentioned that need high humidity, impossible to achieve in a cage.
By cage i meant tortoise table. And i know a lot of people that keep leopard and indian stars together, and say its fine. I dont really know who to trust here.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
No.
Thank you for being very kind . I was trying to think of a kind way to say if you can't afford a tort or you don't have the space for a second tort . DONT get one . And sense July we have seen that question how many times and frazzed how many ways ? But you did a great job being very kind . Thank you !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Whom to trust ?
Hmmmm, let me see, hundreds of scientists, like in the article from Tortoise Trust that I linked that explain the science behind why mixing species is a very bad idea. And the many, many experienced tortoise keepers with years of tortoise keeping behind them you can find here on Tortoise Forum..
Or your "lot of people", who I'm afraid probably aren't aware of the science and won't recognize the more subtle signs of distress in a tortoise.
It's up to you.

Mr. turtle

Whom to trust ?
Hmmmm, let me see, hundreds of scientists, like in the article from Tortoise Trust that I linked that explain the science behind why mixing species is a very bad idea. And the many, many experienced tortoise keepers with years of tortoise keeping behind them you can find here on Tortoise Forum..
Or your "lot of people", who I'm afraid probably aren't aware of the science and won't recognize the more subtle signs of distress in a tortoise.
It's up to you.
Sorry if i made you mad man. I honestly wasn't trying to. I was just saying i know a couple of trust worthy breeders, that say its fine.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sorry if i made you mad man. I honestly wasn't trying to. I was just saying i know a couple of trust worthy breeders, that say its fine.
Not mad, just confused why people could possibly think it's a good idea.
One supposes the breeders want you to buy one of each and say it's fine.
Perhaps I'm being overly cynical, but I wonder why ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
By cage i meant tortoise table. And i know a lot of people that keep leopard and indian stars together, and say its fine. I dont really know who to trust here.

Neither species should be housed in a tortoise table unless the table is in a fish or reptile room that is always kept warm and very humid.

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs and species should never be mixed.

You can find someone in the world to tell you whatever you want to hear. If you just keep asking different people, someone will eventually give you the answer you are looking for. That won't help your tortoises when one is getting sick and dying from the chronic stress of being kept in a pair. Likewise, being given the answer you want won't stop your entire tortoise collection from dying off from some disease from another part of the world that one species has no defense against.

And frankly, most breeders have no idea what they are talking about either. Go to a reptile show and see how many pyramided babies on dry substrate are there. Ask those breeders what food they are feeding and how often they soak the babies.

Its a common practice to mix species in some Asian countries. I get PMs from members in these areas all the time when their tortoises come down with all sorts of mystery ailments. Then they send me a picture with 3 or 4 species all living together. Sometimes its a husbandry issue, but other times the only plausible answer is disease due to mixing species.

Prashant

@Grandpa Turtle 144 Its my personal experience that pair of star tortoise doesn't gel well together.
I had separated them once i noticed that the health of the one of the tortoise is getting compromised.

Reactions: Tom

Plum

Bristol
I was given two tortoises (on Monday) in a pair and also unaware of this -since being told o have noticed that one bullies and chases the other and also tends to eat all the food before the other one!

I am off to get a second enclosure today, it could be fine to leave them together but if there is even a small chance it will compromise one or both of their health then I am not risking it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was given two tortoises (on Monday) in a pair and also unaware of this -since being told o have noticed that one bullies and chases the other and also tends to eat all the food before the other one!

I am off to get a second enclosure today, it could be fine to leave them together but if there is even a small chance it will compromise one or both of their health then I am not risking it!
I'm so glad that this old thread and our words here have helped you, and even more importantly, it will help your tortoises. That is our goal. There is so much misinformation out there, and so many bad practices, that people new to the hobby, and some old timers too, just don't know who to listen to. We try to share the right info, but we don't always succeed in reaching people. Its a good day for me when I see a post like yours above. Thank you. :)

Plum

Bristol
I'm so glad that this old thread and our words here have helped you, and even more importantly, it will help your tortoises. That is our goal. There is so much misinformation out there, and so many bad practices, that people new to the hobby, and some old timers too, just don't know who to listen to. We try to share the right info, but we don't always succeed in reaching people. Its a good day for me when I see a post like yours above. Thank you. :)

Your advice has been invaluable! I have learnt so much after only adopting these 2 less than a week ago and they are now going to have the best set up possible :)

Today I have found a place in Bristol who actually recommend this site for information on tortoises - they offer free health checks, nail clipping and even free vet check ups for torts!

Thank you!!!