Calcium Dusting Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TADitto

5 Year Member
Every third day I dust the greens that I feed my hatchlings and I am having an issue. On the days I dust the greens they will only eat about half of the greens I give them. On the days that I dont dust they always finish off all of their greens. As far as the amount of greens I feed its a good handful, I feed twice a day but only dust the morning feeding. Am I over dusting or are they just picky eaters? Or are they getting enough calcium and are there other ways I can go about getting them calcium if they aren't. Please help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
a lot of them don't like the calcium dust, a lot of people say they won't eat when dusted, try smaller amount and see if that helps.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
rarely ever do I dust my little guys food, if they're getting real sunshine and a decent diet, I don't think you should stress it too much.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Cut back on the amount of calcium dust and see how that goes..

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
My little guy hated calcium and other supplements on his greens too. I made the switch by mixing his supplement in to his mazuri which we then make in to a little wall (Thanks Livingstone) that he destroys. No more problem getting all of his supplements.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Had the same problem for a short while. I decided not to give in and left the dusted veggies in there UNTIL they ate them (unless they became too gross). I know I know, it sounds kinda harsh but let me ask you this... Have you ever seen a healthy Sulcata NOT eat? They're like little four-legged vacuum cleaners! :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have seen all of my tortoises except the impressed tortoise eat at cuttle bone,so that is how I do it.I leave it in with them and they will eventually eat it all, or I remove whats left( it gets dirty) and put a fresh piece in. It is almost like they know how much calcium they need. another thing, cuttle bone has a hard side and a soft side, for the smaller tortoises I check to make sure the soft side is always up. Len

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I tried the cuttlebone...but they think it's some kind of treat...they eat it like candy...So now they get a sprinkle of miner all on there carrots...and a Centrum vitamin every week...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Hector, what's the deal with the vitamin? I keep reading about people using them. Are they necessary? Wonder if I should look into one for my torts? And SERIOUSLY a Yankee fan in Boston? Nice!!

Tony the tank said:
I tried the cuttlebone...but they think it's some kind of treat...they eat it like candy...So now they get a sprinkle of miner all on there carrots...and a Centrum vitamin every week...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
AnthonyC said:
Hector, what's the deal with the vitamin? I keep reading about people using them. Are they necessary? Wonder if I should look into one for my torts? And SERIOUSLY a Yankee fan in Boston? Nice!!

Tony the tank said:

I have always used Human (children's )Vitamins for my puppies..as it was recommended by my Vet.....I also read on here and on another forum somewhere about the use of Centrum vitamins....I've been feeding it to them for a few month now...in all honesty I can't tell you if it's doing them any good...But they seem like healthy strong tortoises and Tinys URI is gone...

The benefits is the ingredients are monitored by the FDA unlike reptile vitamins..they actually have to be truthful about the ingredients and %....My torts take it right from my hand like a treat...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Wow! Pretty cool stuff! Thanks!! :)

Tony the tank said:
AnthonyC said:

Tony the tank said:

I have always used Human (children's )Vitamins for my puppies..as it was recommended by my Vet.....I also read on here and on another forum somewhere about the use of Centrum vitamins....I've been feeding it to them for a few month now...in all honesty I can't tell you if it's doing them any good...But they seem like healthy strong tortoises and Tinys URI is gone...

The benefits is the ingredients are monitored by the FDA unlike reptile vitamins..they actually have to be truthful about the ingredients and %....My torts take it right from my hand like a treat...

dds7155

5 Year Member
Would the mazuri not have calcium in it? i just figured the company would have added enough if they saying it's a complete diet, i always add greens to it , is that right or wrong? anyone know?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My tort vet suggested using tropical flavored Tums for a calcium supplement since it has a fruity taste (do not use mint flavor). They have the correct calcium. I grate it into powder over the greens once a day. He said they would like the flavor better than regular calcium. Mine prefers not to have it, but will eat it if it's not too heavily applied.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Mine all seem to love the taste of calcium carbonate, and will lick it off of a dish.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
I've never had a problem. My sulcata doesn't like lettuce that much so I dust her grass. She eats tons of that. Maybe you could try a liquid calcium. That's worked for my picky bearded dragon

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I agree with the liquid calcium. I also found a liquid vitamin supplement that I use. I have never had a problem getting my guys to eat it.

Ryan M

5 Year Member
Bountiful, Utah
is it a good or bad idea to mix this powder calcium in the water that we soak our sullies in?
My tort doesnt seem to have any issues with the calcium powder but I have wondered this many times over the last 10 months.​

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Try Spraying the greens with a misting of water and the calcium doesn't appear as powdery(I stir the watery leaves and powder in a bowl to mix really well before giving it to them) , it coats the leaves evenly and my baby Hermanns seem quite used to it now.
I think in time your tortoise will get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.