Calcium plus D3

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
i use the ExoTerra Calcium +D3 to dust Crickets for my beardie.... can I use this same powder to lightly dust my sulcatas 'greens' ? or should I be using a different kind? I see they have a Calcium without D3 as well.
Is there a preferred brand ? thanks so much!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Yes you can use the same for you sulcate's greens. The powder with D3 is best as that is one of the key preventers of MBD. A lot of folks use RepiCal but I'm not always a brand name kind of guy, what you have should suffice just fine.

Fresno, CA
Yes you can use the same for you sulcate's greens. The powder with D3 is best as that is one of the key preventers of MBD. A lot of folks use RepiCal but I'm not always a brand name kind of guy, what you have should suffice just fine.
Thanks so much.... just listed the brand I had in case someone knew of something 'wrong' with it.... thanks again!!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks so much.... just listed the brand I had in case someone knew of something 'wrong' with it.... thanks again!!!
Just be more careful to not overdose. Vitamin D can be overdosed when given in food. Excess calcium is simply not used and passed. If allowed sunshine and/or a good UVB source, the tortoise's metabolism cannot overdose D3 and is self-regulated. Vitamin D does store in the body for a while, so Dietary D3 can build up and create an overdose, so use caution. I personally like to use dietary D3 very sparingly and let the natural D3 process from UVB self-regulate.

Bee62

Germany
If a tortoise get`s enough UVB from natural sun or from an UVB bulb the organism of the tortoise can create vitamin D3 by himself.
They need no artificial vitamin D3 like @Mark84 said. The possibility to overdose D3 is to high.
Tortoises only need calcium ( cuttlefish bone ) to build a strong shell and strong bones.

Fresno, CA
Okay... thanks guys for confusing me :) ...
"Charlie" is currently indoors on a "collard green/mustard/turnip mix , some strawberry tops" until I can get his "pasture" mix growing. For UVB lighting, he has a 10.0 Reptisun T5 46" across his enclosure. I take him outside for a bit but not too long..... so I figure I would dust like "barely" a pinch of the calcium on his greens once a week.... is this wrong? I definitely don't want to give him too much!!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
"Charlie" is currently indoors on a "collard green/mustard/turnip mix , some strawberry tops" until I can get his "pasture" mix growing. For UVB lighting, he has a 10.0 Reptisun T5 46" across his enclosure. I take him outside for a bit but not too long..... so I figure I would dust like "barely" a pinch of the calcium on his greens once a week.... is this wrong? I definitely don't want to give him too much!!!
You should be fine with that routine

Bee62

Germany

Sorry for confusing you !
I only can tell how I feed and raise my little ones:
They have little pieces ( crushed ) of cuttlefish bone in their enclosure and they eat as much as they need. Because it is still to cold they hasn`t been outside in natural sun and they are 9 months old. But they have an UVB bulb in their enclosure the whole day trough. Their shells are strong and they are very healthy and grow fast.

A pinch of calcium on the food can`t cause any harm, but if your tort eats calcium ( cuttlefish bone ) by himself it would be better. I believe that they know what they need and eat as much as they need.