Calcium Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

demo183

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Would it be okay if I took the Reptile calcium powder and mixed it with water in a spray bottle then sprayed my Russian's food instead of sprinkling the powder on? The powder tends to cling to my tort and makes a bit of a mess. If so how much water to powder ratio should i mix?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The question I have is will the powder go thru the spray bottle with the water?

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
To jaizei I will eventually get that, for now i got some free calcium powder with some of the equipment i bought (new tortoise owner), and dmmj I have no idea thats why I'm curious if anyones ever tried :p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would be worried that the water would degrade the calcium powder as it sits in the water over time.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Im not sure but i scrape cuttlefish shavings in my torts
Waterbowl i read on this forum that it is good for them! ;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A few points-

Calcium is a mineral- it does not dissolve well in water, nor would it degrade. To be effectively used in a mister, you would need to use a very find grind and find something that will help it stay suspended in the water.

If the powder is making a mess, you are probably using too much. The dosages can be found at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/nutguide.html. Most of the time you only need the equivalent of a big pinch a week- assuming a decent diet. Calcium is also pretty bitter- too much will disflavor the food.

They do make liquid calcium supplements, but the cost per serving and shelf life are a lot worse, and most seem to have other ingredients we may not want.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sometimes I give Solo a bowl to play with.
001-56.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
wow looks like someone has got a serious problem :)
it reminds me of the final scene in scarface

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Madkins007 said:
A few points-

Calcium is a mineral- it does not dissolve well in water, nor would it degrade. To be effectively used in a mister, you would need to use a very find grind and find something that will help it stay suspended in the water.

If the powder is making a mess, you are probably using too much. The dosages can be found at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/nutguide.html. Most of the time you only need the equivalent of a big pinch a week- assuming a decent diet. Calcium is also pretty bitter- too much will disflavor the food.

They do make liquid calcium supplements, but the cost per serving and shelf life are a lot worse, and most seem to have other ingredients we may not want.

There's a period in the link at the end after html. http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/nutguide.html works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.