Calcium powder on weeds?

Location (City and/or State)
Haywards Heath
Hi, its me again. So sorry if I am not supposed to post this many times.
So I have been sprinkling some calcium powder onto Steve’s food and I was just wondering if that was necessary if he was eating wild flowers, weeds and things I grow or if calcium powder was only needed for a low nutrient vegetable diet? To be safe, I am still sprinkling some calcium powder on his weeds/wild flowers. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used to do a lot less when I could get better foods. Once they got larger and live outside and I can find better foods even during winter, I don't give any. My are adults now though.
But you should only be using a small pinch about 2 times a week. If he is very small yet, you might want to do at least once a week and bump it up to twice when you are back to only grocery greens

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, its me again. So sorry if I am not supposed to post this many times.
So I have been sprinkling some calcium powder onto Steve’s food and I was just wondering if that was necessary if he was eating wild flowers, weeds and things I grow or if calcium powder was only needed for a low nutrient vegetable diet? To be safe, I am still sprinkling some calcium powder on his weeds/wild flowers. Thanks!
This is a topic that will get you lots of opinions and feelings, but not much fact.

Generally speaking, weeds are very high in calcium, and if feeding lots of weeds, calcium supplements should be less necessary, or even unnecessary, in some case.

Still, for a growing baby, or an egg producing adult female, a little pinch of calcium carbonate powder twice a week, as suggested by Wellington, will certainly do no harm, and might help if it was needed. Is it absolutely essential? Probably not. I DO find it more essential for people feeding a large percentage of grocery store greens.

There. Those are my opinions and feelings on the subject. :)

And... This is a tortoise forum. Every single person here is here to read about, talk about, learn about, look at pictures of, post pictures of, and generally immerse themselves in TORTOISES! You are encouraged to post as many tortoise questions, tortoise pictures, tortoise thoughts, tortoise notions, tortoise ideas, tortoise inspirations, tortoise observations, and anything else pertaining to tortoises as you like! Why I even have a few tortoises myself!

EricW

Houston, TX
I agree with the above. Though many weeds pull calcium from the ground, they can not create what is not there. Thus the calcium content of the weeds is correlated to what the soil can provide. Some gardeners add calcium to their soil. Haven't heard of tortoise folks doing this, but is an option. The only way to know your calcium levels is to do a soil test. The ag extension for your state typically does this along with some other private institutions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with the above. Though many weeds pull calcium from the ground, they can not create what is not there. Thus the calcium content of the weeds is correlated to what the soil can provide. Some gardeners add calcium to their soil. Haven't heard of tortoise folks doing this, but is an option. The only way to know your calcium levels is to do a soil test. The ag extension for your state typically does this along with some other private institutions.
This has come up before. It seems the more rainy climates tend to have less calcium in the soil, while out here in the south west deserts, we have high levels. There are members here that live in the south that have mentioned adding calcium powder to the ground where their tortoise food grows. This, of course is all anecdotal. I don't know that anyone has ever posted hard data on their soil calcium levels before and after adding amendments. It would be interesting to read if someone wanted to do it.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Calcium helps strong bone and shell growth. I think it important to add to food twice a week and also have a cuttlefish in the enclosure 24 x7. Tortoise with insuffient calcium faced a tough life and bone deficiency. I prefer to be safe than sorry!

EricW

Houston, TX
This has come up before. It seems the more rainy climates tend to have less calcium in the soil, while out here in the south west deserts, we have high levels. There are members here that live in the south that have mentioned adding calcium powder to the ground where their tortoise food grows. This, of course is all anecdotal. I don't know that anyone has ever posted hard data on their soil calcium levels before and after adding amendments. It would be interesting to read if someone wanted to do it.
The other challenge with gardners is they add egg shells or the like to add calcium and it isn't that simple. Depends on soil composition and in the South as you mention, clay type soil, usually lime is the best way to add calcium to the soil for most if the state of Texas for example.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Calcium helps strong bone and shell growth. I think it important to add to food twice a week and also have a cuttlefish in the enclosure 24 x7. Tortoise with insuffient calcium faced a tough life and bone deficiency. I prefer to be safe than sorry!
In general I agree, but the discussion point here is about whether or not additional calcium is "necessary" for a tortoise that is being fed a diet that is exceptionally high in calcium already. For fully grown adult males being fed a good diet, I don't think supplementation is all that important, and certainly not necessary. For growing babies and egg producing females, I, like you, err on the side of caution and add some additional calcium into the food a couple of times per week. Especially so for babies of giant species.

Having said that, a little pinch twice a week certainly won't harm any tortoise, and is a good general practice to recommend in my opinion too.