Calcium supplement for adult RFs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewbert

5 Year Member
Hi folks--
I've read through the redfoots.com site and still have a question (maybe I missed it).

I'm using the RedFoots.com dietary guidelines (days 1&2 greens, day 3 fruit, days 4&5 greens, day 6 fruit and day 7 protein [rehydrated catfood]). My question is about the need for a calcium supplement. I have two types in my arsenal. I have reptocal with vitamin D3. I also have Rec-Cal with no phosphorus and no D3.

Which (if any) should I use for my two red foot torts and should I sprinkle a little on greens, fruit and cat food, some of those things, none at all?:rolleyes:
Thanks in advance!
Pic of George and Lucille

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I use a product which I picked up at a local organic/health food store called Now coral calcium powder. This pure calcium powder with no additives. I put it in a salt shaker and once a week shake onto food (usually fruit). The Rec-Cal is probably similar. They also have a cuttlebone to gnaw on.

Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
I use Minerall for all of my tortoises on their mixed greens & fruits. It seems to work well. I have also read about feeding rehydrated cat food but I don't necessarily agree with this because cat food has a lot of additives. There was a website that made a good point, try to feed what they would eat in their natural habitat. This made a lot of sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.