Calcium

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
hello my baby tortoise has gone off her calcium supplements. She will refuse any food with it on. She has a cuttle bone but the novelty wore of. Is there something else I can try

Thanks
Ben

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How much do you use?

A very tiny sprinkled on food as sparsely as possible 2-3 days a week is all that’s needed.

As for the cuttlebone, torts go through growth spurts and tend to help themselves to more when they are actively growing. Once my Joe stopped growing he hardly ever touched his cuttlebone

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I usually sprinkle it on every other day as they are very young but I can cut it down if that's best for them. I remember in the summer they ate a lot of cuttle bone, but it's there for them if they want it

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Calcium-rich food is one replacement, and another is to use less powder - only a tiny pinch between thumb and index finger two or three times a week, mixed up so it can't be seen.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Calcium-rich food is one replacement, and another is to use less powder - only a tiny pinch between thumb and index finger two or three times a week, mixed up so it can't be seen.
Would supplementing with Mazuri Diet LS be enough? I know that it contains vitamins & minerals including calcium.

I feed fresh greens and weeds most times, but supplement with Mazuri a few times per week. I do use a pinch of calcium now and again, but not regularly, as I don't feel my tortoise needs it. I also have cuttle bone present at all times, which she does use now and again.

drew54

Indiana
Would supplementing with Mazuri Diet LS be enough? I know that it contains vitamins & minerals including calcium.

I feed fresh greens and weeds most times, but supplement with Mazuri a few times per week. I do use a pinch of calcium now and again, but not regularly, as I don't feel my tortoise needs it. I also have cuttle bone present at all times, which she does use now and again.

Mazuri is a good supplement. As long as the diet is varied with grasses, weeds, leafy greens, and added mazuri (it's not necessary, but helps pack on weight) the cuttlebone should be good and you don't really have to give them calcium. I do every once in a while give my hatchling calcium, but mostly I give multivitamins once a week's

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I use a boiled egg with the shell on
Which is great for the species that eat protein like Redfoots. However those that don't, including Testudo (Russians, Greeks, Hermann's), Sulcatas and Leopard Torts, cannot be fed egg.

Clean, finely ground egg shell may be used as a calcium supplement for any species. Again a tiny pinch sprinkled very sparsely on food 2-3 times a week.