Calling all Washingtonians!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I dont have a vet because i have never needed one. But I need to take a fecal sample in for my large Leopard and I was wondering if anyone has a SPECIFIC vet they recommend. I know about the Vet list here on the forum but I would like to hear that this vet has seen a Leo or Sulcata in the last 3 months. Last time I went to a respectable Reptile Vet, she had not seen ANY large torts in a very long time and had to constantly look things up in outdated books. I know its just a fecal but i want the experience in case i have a more serious problem. I live in Seatac and am willing to travel a little if needed.

Also, how often will a vet let you bring in a fecal sample with out charging you for an first time office visit or an office visit period?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any vet with a microscope can see parasite eggs in a stool sample. It doesn't have to be a reptile vet.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
good point Yvonne. but i figured while i was at it i would search for a qualified Vet in case I needed them for emergencies in the future.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It should be a vet who knows what to look for in a reptile fecal tho.. different then a dog or cat.. parasites look different..

and you dont want them giving you the wrong drug or doing anything un neccasary if they dont know better.. some drugs /meds are deadly too torts..

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Maybe PM Kate (tortoisenerd)? I seem to recall her really praising her Seattle-area vet's tortoise knowledge in the past here on the forum, but I'm not sure which vet that is.

Dr. Maas in Bothell and Dr. Johnson-Delaney in Kirkland are often referred to as great herp vets. I think there's a Dr. Kamaka that's supposed to be good, too. I don't know about their experience with tortoises, though; all the references I've heard were generally from snake people.

Hope it's at least kind of helpful...

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'd go with Dr. Johnson-Delaney in Kirkland.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
No experience yet, but I have heard great things about Browns Point, but maybe that's the one you mentioned hadn't seen one in months :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yup, Trevor sees Dr. Johnson-Delaney in Kirkland (Eastside Avian and Exotic). They are awesome. Do be a bit patient because they will take emergencies so its not unusual to take an hour for your 15 minute appointment (they will spend as much time with you as the situation needs--my first visit was literally 45 minutes of the vet's time!). I've only gone like last appointment of the day though, so I bet if you went when they opened you wouldn't have that problem. About $50 for an exam and $15 for a fecal test I think. They will do the fecal test on the sample you bring in while you are there. I would be very surprised if any vet would just take a fecal sample to do the test on unless the tort is an established patient there. Once the tort is established, I know Dr. J-D's office has no problem doing this though as often as you want.

You just drop it off and pay the $15 or whatever, and they can call if there is an issue, and then you can tell them the tort's current weight and pick up the meds. I like to get Trevor's poop tested every 6 months. In two years we've already had coccidia, and twice now, pinworms!

They do see quite a few different animal types there (reptiles, birds, and ferrets at least), but I feel the knowledge level is quite impressive. They do see torts on a weekly basis I'd guess (from the stories they tell me). They can definitely do an accurate fecal test and prescribe meds (haven't had any health emergencies yet with Trevor). Only thing I've ever disagreed with her on was she wanted me to keep Trevor on newspaper or similar "clean" substrate long term, but I think every vet says that actually (from what I've ever read). She didn't argue when I said we decided on aspen. Her office staff is very helpful and friendly too. :) They keep awesome records on their computer system--like every time I ever called with a question even!

Chad-Do you see Dr. J-D too? Awesome.

chadk

10 Year Member!
No, none of my torts have ever been to the vet. But if I ever feel they need to go, J-D will be the one :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
No, none of my torts have ever been to the vet. But if I ever feel they need to go, J-D will be the one :)

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
thanks for the info. kirkland will be a bit of a drive for me but if they are who you guys recommend i will try them out. Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.