Can 18 month old (small) sulcata live full-time in outside terrarium?

Benjaming29

Location (City and/or State)
Anaheim CA
Hello guys, first post. I have a baby (or juvie?), about 18 months old who is about 4.5 inches from front to back and decently heavy. Not sure about exact weight but I will find out soon.

I built him/her a 4'x8' outside play pen/terrarium with front acrylic viewing panels and screen tops out of wood but now I want him/her to live in it full time. His/her inside tank is way too small. It's only 2'x2' on a pedestal. I unfortunately have no room in my house for a bigger inside tank.

I know babies aren't supposed to be kept outside full-time but I am in the process of building a heated night box like the one Tom posted and am wondering if with that, can he/she live full-time in the outside terrarium?

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• 20240820_172537.jpg
    20240820_172537.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240820_172552.jpg
    20240820_172552.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240820_172559.jpg
    20240820_172559.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, it could get to hot. You can't control the sun heating it up. Babies get over heated easily. Besides a 4x8 won't last him long.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply! How does everyone give the babies the space they need indoors? It's a lot of space lol
They should not live outside full time until they are at least 8-10 inches, but the longer you keep them inside, the better. Putting them outside full time when too small will cause pyramiding and slow their growth tremendously. I've done side-by-side comparisons with dozens of clutch mates of several species to come to this conclusion. The heated night boxes work great for housing them here in CA when they are large enough to live outside full time.

What does everyone do? There are infinite answers to this question, but everyone runs into this issue with this species, and all the other large species too. What you should be asking is: What should everyone be doing? What everyone should be doing is meeting the needs of their chosen species. If you don't have the space, money, or inclination to give them what they need, then you have chosen poorly, and you need think more carefully about what species to acquire in the future that will fit into your allotted space requirements. There are many wonderful reptile pets that could live in a 2x2 foot space, but the third largest tortoise species in the world is not one of them. You need to figure out how to make more space for your tortoise. In a large warm humid closed chamber, your tortoise will probably grow large enough to move outside full time in June or 2025. Soak frequently and feed it original Mazuri twice a week, and it should be plenty big this time next year. You just need to use up some inconvenient space in your house for a few more months over winter. You can use a 4x8 planter box with a greenhouse tent over it if you want to save money. If you want it to look nice and function superbly, get one of Mark's Smart Enclosures. You can use the outdoor enclosure a few hours a day in nice weather, but your baby will fare much better if kept mostly indoors.