Can a hatchling Alligator snapping turtle be housed with a different species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
My friend just gave me an alligator snapping turtle. It is very small about an inch or so large. I was wondering if for the time being I can house him with my eastern musk. It would be only temporary! Until I can build the other critter his own habitat. Will they harm each other? I need to know ASAP!! Thank you!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377540511.752851.jpg the snapping turtles size

My musk turtle. ImageUploadedByTortForum1377540558.879227.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
If that is the actual turtle, that is a common snapping turtle not Alli. With that said sure it will be fine for just right now.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It looks like a common snapping turtle to me . The only thing would warrant concern would be his tail being bitten off . This is how you can tell the difference look at the side by side picture. The one on the right is a alligator snapper,an the one on the left is a common snapper.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1377543796512.jpg
    1377543796512.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 64

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Mike!! That picture is just too cute. I love the snappers.

Just bear in mind that snapping turtles are very territorial and aggressive. Your slower-moving musk turtle might be in danger of being bitten.

You can just put the snapper into a plastic tub for now until you can get him set up properly.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
I agree it appears to be a common snapper, I love them, so cute :) Anywho - I housed two hatchling snappers, a stinkpot common musk, and an RES together and they all did awesome. And yes I know It's a rare-ish case haha. My res was a male around 6" my musk a female about 5", and the snappers were close to 2" without tail. They all live in my neighbor friends very large man made turtle pond. In short, they will be fine most likely for a while :)

1.1 human baby's (grayson & mackenzie)
1.1 bunnies
0.1 eastern painted (wendy)
0.1 treeing walker coonhound (daisy)
0.1.5 mainecoon mix (vera & her kittens)

Status
Not open for further replies.