alligator snapping turtle question

vlax

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
hey guys!
i've had my alligator snapping turtle for about 2 months now. it's about a lil over 6 inches (shell length) and since i live in korea, i feed him live oriental weatherfish which is a good diet for any turtles.
anyway my question is i rarely see my ast move...i mean i see it extending its neck to breathe and stuff, but i never see him walking around or luring for its food! it's always in its favorite corner doing absolutely nothing! but then again when i get back from work, about 10~15 weatherfish are gone... so i know it's eating...
i rarely handle it so that it gets its stress-free environment.
is my turtle just too shy and timid or that's just how all alligator snapping turtles are like?

please help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Snappers usually are not very active, they like to hide, do you have a nice hiding spot or two for it?

vlax

5 Year Member
South Korea
Snappers usually are not very active, they like to hide, do you have a nice hiding spot or two for it?
I have an "M" shaped log that is about 25in x 6in x 12in. i expected my ast to hide under one of the two spots but it prefers to be in the corner...

vlax

5 Year Member
South Korea
Thats just an AST for you, when you see them move it is a rare site
oh ok. i just thought mine was "special" that way haha. i guess i am too used to seeing my other turtles swimming towards me knowing that i feed them whenever i get close to them.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Agree! I read that they aren't the type for basking, and if you catch them up on land or swimming about much it's a lucky day.
He's just being a normal alligator snapper!