Genetic Question about Alligator Snappers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
I have a question for my fellow turtle experts: The recent literature regarding alligator snapping turtles states that the populations from the furthest east in Florida and southern Georgia are very different genetically from the other populations. However, despite the genetic gap, the animals are otherwise identical.
My question is this...has there been anything written recently that demonstrates any visual differences? In other words, can a person who is knowledgeable see a difference between an alligator snapper from Louisiana and one from the Santa Fe River in Florida?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
What you are telling us is new to me,(so I wouldn't know of any new literature) is there someplace where I can read about this? But to answer your question, I don't think so. I have never seen two that looked exactly alike. Len -----------I am no expert, not by a long shot.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
I know the ones I have come across here in MS look like the ones on the internet so I have no clue. I never knew that was a possibility.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
egyptiandan said:

Thanks Danny. I have one of Joe Roman's other works, "Population Structure and Cryptic Evolutionary units in the Alligator Snapping Turtle" but that one doesn't indicate any visual differences.
I have been informed though that there is some stuff in the works that will change this...

Len said:
What you are telling us is new to me,(so I wouldn't know of any new literature) is there someplace where I can read about this? But to answer your question, I don't think so. I have never seen two that looked exactly alike. Len -----------I am no expert, not by a long shot.

Len, you can google Joe Roman, Paul Moler and then alligator snapper and you should be able to find some of their work.
There is one paper by Moler that you can get the full PDF of online...'Alligator snapping turtle distribution and relative abundance. Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission, Final Report 7544' It is fairly interesting reading.
The other easily obtainable one is 'Population Structure and Cryptic Evolutionary Units in the Alligator Snapping Turtle' that I mentioned above.
Hope these help.

Status
Not open for further replies.