Alligator Snapping Turtle

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Just wanted to share an old photo of an alligator snapping turtle I rescued from a country club in east Texas about 10 years ago. I have always loved these giants and this is the first one I came across of this size, I released him in a creek fed slough in the Sabine River bottoms the same day. I hope he's still down there ruling the river bottoms.
IMG_2181.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Very cool and not very common here..
I know either the alligator or the common snapper can reach its head out extra long and bite you if you grab him by the sides.
I can never remember witch is witch and have never attempted to pick up one, though I have caught some giants while fishing for catfish.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Very cool and not very common here..
I know either the alligator or the common snapper can reach its head out extra long and bite you if you grab him by the sides.
I can never remember witch is witch and have never attempted to pick up one, though I have caught some giants while fishing for catfish.

They're one of my favorites. Both them and the common have long necks but I do believe it's the common that has the most length and flexibility with theirs. I've come across some vicious little common snapping turtles!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I saw a YouTube video that demonstrated the difference between the alligator and the common snapping turtle. For instance the common snapping turtle does not have the cool hand hold on the shell behind the neck. you would not be able to pick up the common snapping turtle like this. they're called alligator snapping turtles because of their bumpy alligator-like back

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Just wanted to share an old photo of an alligator snapping turtle I rescued from a country club in east Texas about 10 years ago. I have always loved these giants and this is the first one I came across of this size, I released him in a creek fed slough in the Sabine River bottoms the same day. I hope he's still down there ruling the river bottoms.
View attachment 200804

Nice work! It must have felt great releasing that big dude and I share your feelings about his continued well being. Alligator snappers are very special animals.
This is the biggest one I've encountered to date...North Florida.
27860c8a-af01-4e57-8064-7de233dfb7fe_zpssn6xjb8r.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Nice work! It must have felt great releasing that big dude and I share your feelings about his continued well being. Alligator snappers are very special animals.
This is the biggest one I've encountered to date...North Florida.
27860c8a-af01-4e57-8064-7de233dfb7fe_zpssn6xjb8r.jpg

Man that's incredible, I love them. There's no telling how long that guy has been around, definitely very special!