Can anyone help me w/this id?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
I've tried every web site and just cannot come up with an Id... Does anyone know if this is ok for a sulcata?ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367696387.783052.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367696402.688955.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Yes... Tried tortoise table n every other website lol... It's EVERYWHERE in my lawn so I thought it'd b easy to ID... Thanks anyway though

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
YvonneG is really good at IDing plants. She might be on later tonight. She may be able to help or you could Snead her a pm.

redbeef

5 Year Member
looks like an asteraceae...but more than that, I cannot say. A lot times your local county ag office or a nurseryman is your best bet for what grows locally

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks for ur help... Redbeef- the last pic is the same one in my other post... I just took a better pic of it in the other post n included the flower... The asteraceae leaves look similar but the flowers do not, but at least I have something to go on lol... Thanks again guys :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I encounter this problem (often), I go to a local nursery. I have two near here that are great. They can always tell me what it is, and often they know about toxicity and other fun facts too. Its worth a quick drive for me.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks Tom, I think that's where I'm going tomorrow morning :)

Would u recommend going to a place like Home Depot or Lowes, or regular nursery that only sells plants?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How about deadly nightshade? Do a GOOGLE image search and see it it matches your plant.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
No, it's definitely not deadly nightshade... I have another post w/more pics to ID, the last one on that post has a pic of this plant w/the flower... I would really appreciate it if u could help me w/any of the other plants on that post, as well as the one I have on this post... Thanks for all ur help Yvonne :)

redbeef

5 Year Member
it's definitely not deadly nightshade

Atra420: your best bet is someone who's been in the nursery business for some time....lowes and home depot employees do not always fit that description, but it depends entirely on who they've hired and who is working when you go there: the Lowes down the street from me had much more qualified people working when it first opened up, but now it's pretty much the same as most big box home improvement stores: I know more about what they are selling than they do. Try to find a mom and pop or locally owned store if you can

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Ok, yeah Home Depot n lowes were no help... I'm trying to find a "real" nursery now, but I'm not having too much luck... U would think there'd at least b one in Baltimore lol... Thanks again

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
I finally figured it out!!! It's fleabane, also toxic to tortoises... Thank u for helping me guys =)

Status
Not open for further replies.