Can Anyone Identify This Turtle And These Tortoises?

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good afternoon everyone!

Can anyone identify this turtle which mum and I found on a beach in Crete? It is of course a hatchling. The other photos are of tortoises in a sanctuary in Cambridgeshire😉!

MaNaAk IMG20230118151548.jpgIMG20230118151406.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230118151537.jpg
    IMG20230118151537.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

MaNaAk

Southend
We were on holiday in Crete in 2004 when we came across some locals who were combing the beach looking for hatchlings. They have confused by the lights of the hotels and instead of heading to the ocean they have been heading in the wrong direction so we just put them back in the sea. There is obviously a problem with turtles and light pollution in Crete.

MaNaAk

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We were on holiday in Crete in 2004 when we came across some locals who were combing the beach looking for hatchlings. They have confused by the lights of the hotels and instead of heading to the ocean they have been heading in the wrong direction so we just put them back in the sea. There is obviously a problem with turtles and light pollution in Crete.

MaNaAk
I heard of that same problem in another location too. I just can't remember where.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have seen on the news, some places just curb their lights at that time. Just to help the hatchling Sea turtles head for the sea like they're supposed to 😘

Kybry00

Oxnard
You're right the first one is a loggerhead I believe and should be put back in the damn ocean the next one is redfoot and the next one is a sulcata you're so right so what's up what's really going on

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd guess the 2nd pic is a couple angulated tortoises?