Can I put my western hermann outside?

maisiejb

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have a 2 year old western Hermann's tortoise, so far I have kept him in an indoor inclosure since he was so young and little. I live in Michigan and I am wondering if I could put him in an outdoor enclosure for the summer. What is the lowest temperature he would be able to live in? I would bring him inside on the cooler days and nights. What would be the best type of enclosure if I am able to put him outside? Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have a 2 year old western Hermann's tortoise, so far I have kept him in an indoor inclosure since he was so young and little. I live in Michigan and I am wondering if I could put him in an outdoor enclosure for the summer. What is the lowest temperature he would be able to live in? I would bring him inside on the cooler days and nights. What would be the best type of enclosure if I am able to put him outside? Thank you!
Please give this a read. It explains how to do outdoor housing in several ways.

For a young tortoise of a smaller species like yours, I would prefer to use both indoor and outdoor enclosures. Indoors at night and during inclement weather, and outdoors on nice weather days. The best of both worlds.

Here is one way to accomplish this safely:
IMG_7276.jpg