Can I use this for substrate?

Vilt

Location (City and/or State)
Lithuania
Hi, I have a Hermann hatchling ( about 4 months old) and I bought a bag of soil ( contains rain earthworm processed manure, waste and peat bogs) and was wondering if I could use it at least until ordered coconut coir brick arrives??
Thanks in advance !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think it would be harmful. I would pat it down with the palm of my hand to make a harder surface for the baby to walk on. Then be looking for small piece fir bark to layer over the top of your worm soil. Actually any hardwood bark would probably work ok, but be sure to buy the bark that comes in small pieces.

awt1997

los angeles, california
I don't think it would be harmful. I would pat it down with the palm of my hand to make a harder surface for the baby to walk on. Then be looking for small piece fir bark to layer over the top of your worm soil. Actually any hardwood bark would probably work ok, but be sure to buy the bark that comes in small pieces.

what happens if a baby hermann's eats soul? will the soil pass through? also, will organic potting soul be good for burrowing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing with using soil is that tortoises walk through their food, getting dirt on the food. Then they eat the food along with the dirt. This MIGHT cause a build up of soil inside the gut and cause impaction. That's why I suggested a layer of hardwood bark over the top of the soil.

Vilt

Lithuania
Thank you ! Should I cook the soil in the oven for about five minutes before using it?