Can I use this as a Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Hello Everyone :tort:

Today I found something at my local supermarket and I was wondering If I could use it as a substrate for my tortoise.

2dvrgux.jpg

It only says "chopped Coconut" on the Bag. (So, is it right to assume it's Coconut Bark?)
34yp84g.jpg

If I can use it, it would be great, cause I can buy it nearby and it's quite cheap (Good Substrates are hard to find in Thailand). If I can't use it, I will use it for my plants. ;)

Thank you for your opinions!
Mina

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i think Ive seen people who use that.. just have to be careful they dont eat it..
You dont have potting soil there?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That's excellent...Soak it for an hour or so...then drain it and add to your enclosure. Keep it moist but not soggy...I add a half gallon warm water every three days!

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Mh, Interesting! Thanks for you responses. I'm just going to try it and see how it works. My other option would probably be Orchid Bark which seems to be quite similar anyways.

@Laura - I'm not sure where to get potting soil. Sure they'll have it, but not sure if they put fertilizer etc. But, are you saying potting soil would be better? Is that was you use?

@Dean - Thanks for the advice. But it sounds pretty wet. :D Should the substrate be wet everywhere? I'm worried my little torty would catch a cold.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wouldn't use that alone myself as a substrate - however mixed in with other substrates like potting soil, EcoEarth or cypress mulch will give it a good texture.

Peacebone

5 Year Member
AZ
Yeah you should be able to use it. This guy uses it and he is very successful star tortoise keeper. Here is the link to his webpage and also shows him using this same substrate a little ways down the page. You just have to watch for it being too dusty.

http://startortoises.net/substrates.html

Status
Not open for further replies.