Question.. (substrate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
I use coconut fiber and coconut bark in my enclosure and I don't know how often I need to change it out or how to keep it clean for him. It's so hard to see anything in there to spot clean because he moves it all around so much ... Help?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
RE: Question..

Spot clean anything you do find, then replace it when it 'sours'- starts to smell funny and changes texture. This can be just a few months, or about a year depending on many factors.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: Question..

How often will depend on several factors including things like how many animals, their size, their species, what you feed them, how much you feed, the size of the enclosure. The basic thing is to spot clean every day. This means to pick up any old food you see or any waste material. Then if there is an area that seems to get high foot traffic and perhaps a higher amount of toilet usage, just take out the soiled bedding and add fresh in that area. When and if, it starts to put off a smell, then by all means clean it completely out and add all new substrate.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
How often will depend on several factors including things like how many animals, their size, their species, what you feed them, how much you feed, the size of the enclosure. The basic thing is to spot clean every day. This means to pick up any old food you see or any waste material. Then if there is an area that seems to get high foot traffic and perhaps a higher amount of toilet usage, just take out the soiled bedding and add fresh in that area. When and if, it starts to put off a smell, then by all means clean it completely out and add all new substrate.

It's a 2 year old spur thigh. Only one and the enclosure is 3ft by 2ft. I feed him a heaping portion about the size of him twice a day. The reason I ask is it has only been in there for less than 2 weeks and it seems to e putting off a smell as of today. Anytime I look to spot clean I can't did anything but I know he goes.

Madkins007 said:
Spot clean anything you do find, then replace it when it 'sours'- starts to smell funny and changes texture. This can be just a few months, or about a year depending on many factors.

It's only been about 2 weeks if that and seems to smell???

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Spot cleaning is what i do everyday, and i clean out the whole substrate every 8 months or so.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It may be souring because of dissolved poo, too much moisture, mold/mildew growth, food wastes, a bad batch of coir, etc.

I have tried lots of substrates, and the only two I would continue to use are cypress mulch (or a similar shredded bark/hardwood, like orchid bark), and a 'bioactive substrate system' mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.