Substrate

Sydnee

Hey guys! My Russian Todd hass a 4ft by 3ft enclosure and I have coconut fiber substrate. I was just wondering:
How often do you guys recommend changing substrate?
I've heard of puting earth worms in the enclosure to eat all of the bad stuff? Any opinions?

Thanks guys ☺

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you do a good job at spot cleaning you don't have to change it often at all. I use coconut coir for sometimes more then a year.
As for your enclosure though. If your tort is not a hatchling, a 4x3 is way too small. 4x8 minimum is needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I spot clean and remove any un-eaten food every day and as needed.

I never change out the substrate unless the tortoise outgrows the enclosure and I intend to use the same enclosure for a new tortoise.

Sydnee

If you do a good job at spot cleaning you don't have to change it often at all. I use coconut coir for sometimes more then a year.
As for your enclosure though. If your tort is not a hatchling, a 4x3 is way too small. 4x8 minimum is needed.
I spot clean a lot so that's good :)
He's only 5 inches. The enclosure is 4 ft long and 3 feet wide. All of the articles I read said minimum 4 ft by 2 ft? He doesnt seem streassed he mainly stays on one side of his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you guys ever heard of putting earthworms in there?

That would require soil and I don't think store bought "soil" is a good substrate for tortoises.

Do a forum search for "bio-active substrates" and you can read all about it.

I don't use earth worms indoors, but I relocate them from underneath my water bowls into my planters beds in my outdoor enclosures all the time.