Can they smell cookies?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I like to bake. A lot. Cookies, pies, crumbles, breads -- you name it. Baking is one if my favorite ways to unwind after work.

Anyway, my two juvenile DTs have their indoor enclosures in the laundry area adjacent to the kitchen. I'm sure when the oven is on it raises the overall temps in the room and impacts them, but they have no added heat source there so if it's not uncomfortably warm for me, with my face in the oven, then it's definitely not uncomfortable for them across the room. Anyway, I noticed that when I bake, Gomez wakes up and climbs the wall of his enclosure. Is he smelling the food? Responding to the temp change? I can't imagine chocolate chip cookies would hold much allure for a tortoise, but it cracks me up. Of course when it's pumpkin or zucchini bread, there are some raw shredded leftovers saved for them...

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
im sure they smell it, but thats not the reason for excitement. i think its the temperature increase. funny thought though.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, that's what I figured. But I still get a kick out of their sudden interest in the kitchen activity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoise have very good senses of smell. Mine can smell the Mazuri soaking in the breezeway from all the way in their enclosures. The little ones at the house all come running out of their hides as soon as I put down the Mazuri. They can't see it from inside there.

I'll bet they smell your cooking just fine.

I'm not coming over for an eating party until you are well! :p

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, I had no idea they have such a good sense of smell. But it makes sense. I wonder if it's hard for them being housed near the kitchen, where there are so often strong cooking smells.

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
My tortoise goes nuts for perfume! Haha so I see pastries and such can attract them.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm on my way!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

-------
Sandy
Oregon-Washington Tortoise Rescue

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Oliver the Sulcata (50 lbs)
Larry the Jordanian Greek
Curly the Eastern Hermanni
....baby Sulcata Franklin on the way!
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji
John the boyfriend stuck in Kansas...so I get more tortoises!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I wish mine were like this.Maybe because there still hatchlings they don't know yet? I would love if my torts did what Tom's torts do :p It would be the cutest :D

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Not an expert but does this mean you should increase the temps in their enclosures? If mine were more active when it was warmer I would want to increase the temps for them. Just an idea :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
lkwagner said:
Not an expert but does this mean you should increase the temps in their enclosures? If mine were more active when it was warmer I would want to increase the temps for them. Just an idea :)

Interesting question. I should explain that their indoor enclosures are essentially night boxes. Normally the torts are outside 24/7, but during this cool time of year before brumation I bring them in around 6pm and put them in Rubbermaids with orchid bark. They just sleep in them -- unless Gomez is doing his cookie dance. The temps in them get down to the mid-60s by dawn. It seems to be working well as far as keeping them healthy. I considered adding heat but decided against it as they'll be brumating.

Now everybody come on over for some cookies!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I almost did drive into town today...but they decided to take the train out instead...lol....dang, missed the soft chocolate chips....