Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Hello Everyone,

I hope my question isn't too stupid.
I have finally decided that I am going to buy a Greek Tortoise in the near future (sometime the next few months).

However, I am still worrying about one thing: Humidity.

I live in Thailand and it is quite humid and hot all year round, especially during rainy season (3-4 months period) it gets very humid (85%) and I am worrying if this could harm my future tort.

Any experts who can state their opinion?

I am planning to keep the tortoise on the balcony, so it can have a bit real sunshine but if it's better to keep it inside because of the humidity, I could do that too. Or a mixture of both (inside, outside), however inside my room I use airconditioning so temperatures would be different, and I'm not sure how the change of temperatures could affect my tort.

I'm a newbie on this, so any comments will be appreciated. :) Thank you!

Mina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to forward this thread to GBTortoises. He knows a lot about the Mediterranean tortoises.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Most Greek subspecies (and most other Testudo species) can easily tolerate very high humidity levels for extended periods of time as long as they are not subject to being in constantly damp conditions. A warm, dry (100-110 Fahrenheit) basking area is a must. Constant exposure to dampness without the ability to completely dry off can lead to fungal and bacterial infections. Cold wet conditions are of equal concern. Most Greeks and Testudo species are very accustomed to nights that are 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit colder than daytime temperatures, even colder at times. As long as those colder night temperatures are not in conjunction with damp substrate or air conditions the tortoise should be fine. I'm not familiar with the weather in Bangkok at all. But if you get 3-4 months of constant rain, that is when I would be most concerned about about a tortoise being outdoors.
Indoors is fine but air-conditioned air can be a concern, depending upon how cold (and damp) and how close the tortoise's enclosure would be to the A/C source. Obviously, a basking/heat source would be necessary for the tortoise. You may again get into an issue with night time dampness with the tortoise being kept indoors in an air conditioned room.
If at all possible, as much time outdoors for a tortoise is always preferred providing that environmental conditions are suitable and the tortoise is in a safe enclosure.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Thank you so much for your answer!

A warm, dry (100-110 Fahrenheit) basking area is a must. Constant exposure to dampness without the ability to completely dry off can lead to fungal and bacterial infections.

Well, the hottest days are around that temperature, mostly the daytime temp. is about 85-90 Degrees (nighttime is a few degrees cooler, but still warm with about 79-82 degrees). But my balcony has only little direct sunshine, which is in the morning for about an hour.
Do I need an extra heat light?

But if you get 3-4 months of constant rain, that is when I would be most concerned about about a tortoise being outdoors.

Well, in Bangkok it would rain almost every day, but only for a 30-minute period. It is rarely that it would rain all day, but it's cloudy most days. So it's best to keep it inside during that time?
The place where I am going to set up its enclosure will be protected from rain though. But I could take it inside during these months, no problems.

Indoors is fine but air-conditioned air can be a concern, depending upon how cold (and damp) and how close the tortoise's enclosure would be to the A/C source.
My aircon is mostly set to 79 Degrees, so it is not really cold (at least not for me). Of course I'd pick a place for the tortoise where it doesnt get direct cold wind.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your answer. That helped a lot already and I'm going to make sure it's not damp and/or too cold.

Mina

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Sky2Mina said:
Thank you so much for your answer!

A warm, dry (100-110 Fahrenheit) basking area is a must. Constant exposure to dampness without the ability to completely dry off can lead to fungal and bacterial infections.

Well, the hottest days are around that temperature, mostly the daytime temp. is about 85-90 Degrees (nighttime is a few degrees cooler, but still warm with about 79-82 degrees). But my balcony has only little direct sunshine, which is in the morning for about an hour.
Do I need an extra heat light?

But if you get 3-4 months of constant rain, that is when I would be most concerned about about a tortoise being outdoors.

Well, in Bangkok it would rain almost every day, but only for a 30-minute period. It is rarely that it would rain all day, but it's cloudy most days. So it's best to keep it inside during that time?
The place where I am going to set up its enclosure will be protected from rain though. But I could take it inside during these months, no problems.

Indoors is fine but air-conditioned air can be a concern, depending upon how cold (and damp) and how close the tortoise's enclosure would be to the A/C source.
My aircon is mostly set to 79 Degrees, so it is not really cold (at least not for me). Of course I'd pick a place for the tortoise where it doesnt get direct cold wind.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your answer. That helped a lot already and I'm going to make sure it's not damp and/or too cold.

Mina

Gary (GBTortoises) basically nailed it. Since you're place rains alot, then I would recommend keeping your greek indoors. North Meditteranean and Middle East greeks such as Testudo graeca ibera can tolerate warm and humid, but it sounds like your place isn't as hot as what Gary recommends. Also, north African greeks and golden greeks don't farewell even in hot and humid. Your best bet would be to keep him indoors in a room with A/C off, with a daytime temperature of 80F, a basking spot of 95F, and nighttime temps of around the 70's. When it's not raining, you can take him outdoors for some sunshine.

J

jimfaster

When cleaning my illegal firing up to 100% so I just leave the door open for a while 'until someone comes out of the humidity tray. If you have a cup of water above or below the heat source, which makes the humidity is high the air is injected into the well. Move the water in the bowl to cool side, if you have it on the hot side.

Status
Not open for further replies.