Greek Tortoise-Humidity Question

JSCHAPER

Location (City and/or State)
Folsom
I am long term fostering a Greek tortoise (Bobbie) for family friends while they are on extended work assignment in Germany. I have had Bobbie for 7 months and have been following their care instructions. However, I have never owned a Tortoise before. I stumbled upon your website and am excited to join as there is so much more to caring for him than what I was instructed. My first concern is getting the correct amount of humidity for him. I live in Northern California near Sacramento. Please tell me how to create humidity that is correct for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the care sheet for Russians. Care is the same for greeks. Read these and then come back and ask for more clarification if needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this a full grown Greek tortoise? Then you don't need to worry about humidity. If he's indoors, just wet the substrate, stir it up with your hand to evenly wet the whole thing, then allow it to dry out. The moisture will stay under the top layer. If you soak him a few times a week in warm water for about 15 minutes, you don't need humidity in the enclosure. If it's a baby tortoise, it's a whole other ball game.

Reactions: Tom

JSCHAPER

Folsom
Is this a full grown Greek tortoise? Then you don't need to worry about humidity. If he's indoors, just wet the substrate, stir it up with your hand to evenly wet the whole thing, then allow it to dry out. The moisture will stay under the top layer. If you soak him a few times a week in warm water for about 15 minutes, you don't need humidity in the enclosure. If it's a baby tortoise, it's a whole other ball game.
Thank you! He is 9 years old. Forgive me, how deep should the water be when soaking?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It should come up to the middle of his sides - where he doesn't have to strain to hold his head out of the water. At that age, you can soak once a week.

JSCHAPER

Folsom
Here is the care sheet for Russians. Care is the same for greeks. Read these and then come back and ask for more clarification if needed.
Thank you, I appreciate the resources.