Can tortoises be incontinent?

fern4

5 Year Member
I have a male Ibera Greek tortoise who is 9 years old and he’s been super healthy. For the past week his bottom is constantly wet and he leaves little dribble marks all over. He has peed and there’s been some grit but he also seems to strain some.
We took him to the vet and his X-rays were clear but unfortunately it’s really hard to find someone that knows much about reptiles from where I’m from.
He lives in a 4 ft by 6 ft enclosure. Eats greens from the store. Has numerous heat sources and UV lights. Typically loves to hump his rocks and is active but has been in his hide box more. Appetite less but still eating.
Any thoughts on the dripping urine and straining would be appreciated. I’m wondering if he has a chunk of urate or something but what can we do to help him pass it?
Thank you so much :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
If his X-rays are clear, he doesn't large bladder stones and it's good. You can post an X-ray image here, so experienced members can take a look. Photos of your tortoise (top and bottom of the shell and tail area) would be helpful too.

What are temperatures in the enclosure? Day/night ambient and basking spot. What substrate do you use? Does he have a water dish?

Do you bath (soak) him, how often?

fern4

5 Year Member
Here’s Fern :)
We use cypress mulch for his substrate and yes he has access to water. I’m not 100% sure on the temps but his basking light is a 150 watt lightbulb and a 75 watt for the other. He shouldn’t need a lot of humidity but we do spray his home 2 times per week. We do soak him at least twice a week but have been doing it more since the leaking and straining started.

Attachments

• IMG_9323.jpeg
    IMG_9323.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9324.jpeg
    IMG_9324.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9274.jpeg
    IMG_9274.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, he doesn't need humid environment at his age. Fresh water and hydration through soaks are critical, though.

A couple more questions:
1. What do you feed him?
2. How often he gets outside and what is outside area size?
3. I see your older thread about shell rot. How did you treat it, was it confirmed by a vet?
4. What about poops? Are they looking as usual, regular and passed easily?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
4x6 is too small and can affect his insides working properly if they don't have the room to roam and build muscle and keep insides healthy. Work on expanding that.
I would up the soaks, he may have some tiny bladder stones that likely would not show up on an X-ray.
Along with hopefully a good diet, I would add a romaine lettuce leaf daily, it is mostly water, so will help with hydration, trying to flush out his urethra.
Does he strain to poop or seems to strain only when peeing?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Here’s Fern :)
We use cypress mulch for his substrate and yes he has access to water. I’m not 100% sure on the temps but his basking light is a 150 watt lightbulb and a 75 watt for the other. He shouldn’t need a lot of humidity but we do spray his home 2 times per week. We do soak him at least twice a week but have been doing it more since the leaking and straining started.
I’d recommend getting yourself a temp gun cause they’re relatively cheap and a really good way to check all your ground temps👍

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You're in IOWA?
Hardware stores and Walmart sell reliable, digital temp/humidity combo gauges for under twenty bucks and those digital, non contact temperature guns can be found here and there for about the same cost on sale.
Being sure of the temperature is important. Too cool or too warm causes lots of issues.
While I have no experience with a tortoise experiencing incontinence, I'm sure it's 100% possible.
The cause could be stress, diet, disease or a physical issue of some sort.

fern4

5 Year Member
Fern has been passing these all day. Not sure if it’s stones or urates. I’m not sure why all of a sudden he got these but glad he’s getting them out. Poor guy. This would explain the straining and dribbling urine I believe

Attachments

• IMG_9338.jpeg
    IMG_9338.jpeg
    697.2 KB · Views: 1