can tortoises eat leptinella?

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
can tortoises eat or be in in an enclosure with leptinella squalida? ground cover from australia, looks like mini, tiny ferns. says it is non toxic...but not on the tortoise table list.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The Tortoise Table is primarily hmm, U.K. based but the tiny bit of the U.K. that is England and surrounding countries, not Australia! So you aren't going to have too much luck with it for plants from there.

It's in the very large daisy plant family, which generally speaking are okay in moderation. I'd be surprised if your tortoise ate it, however. Is she eating it now?

The Tortoise Table is also extremely conservative and some members consider the science behind the assessments to be inconsistent; I'm in that group. I wouldn't want my tortoise to live *only* on daisies and sunflowers (same family) but I wouldn't want her to live on any one food.*

Only you know what's right for your tortoise/comfortable to you so if you want to match the Tortoise Table as best you can I *think* it would fit somewhere between feed sparingly and feed in moderation. But not "never" feed.

*Thinking it over, my Russian has destroyed so many plants in my yard I should probably plant only sunflowers and daisies in it as I know she'd have to be starving to eat them! :)

Reactions: Tom

lynnefay

OREGON
the plants are not in their enclosure, but planted in the top of the surrounding wall. i was just worried if some fell in