Can Torts Co-Exsist With Other Pets?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi eveyone. I've had my beloved :<3:Greek tort for almost four years. I've lately been thinking of getting a kitten. But I've been wondering if torts can live side by side with other pets :confused:. I do know that torts like to be alone, and do not like company. Therefore, I do not want to risk getting a kitten that may annoy, bother, frustrate my tort or vice-versa.

Anyone's advice would be highly appreciated :). Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can have any other oet you want, as long as you keep them away from your tortoise. Thetortoise should have its own enclosure anyway, so there should be a problem keeping a kitten away from him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You've answered yourself. Torts don't need and usually don't like company. Keep kitty away from tortoise and no problem.
I understand that cats are not as dangerous to tortoises as dogs are, but it would still probably irritate the tortoise by it's mere presence near it, being in the tortoise's territory.
Lots of the members here keep several different types of animals, but not mixed with the torts in most instances, as far as I can see.

Prairie Mom

I have millions of animals in my house. I just keep my tortoise separated from them. Cats rule! Get one (my vote is to adopt from a recue) :) and just keep it away from your tortoise. I think having animals make for happier homes and people:D

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Build your tortoise a big enough and cat-proof enclosure and don't let it roam around on the floor anymore, than you can get a kitten.
And since kittens - unlike torts - don't want to be alone, you should also get a second one. :D

Prairie Mom

You've answered yourself. Torts don't need and usually don't like company. Keep kitty away from tortoise and no problem.
I understand that cats are not as dangerous to tortoises as dogs are, but it would still probably irritate the tortoise by it's mere presence near it, being in the tortoise's territory.
Lots of the members here keep several different types of animals, but not mixed with the torts in most instances, as far as I can see.
A member posted sad photos recently of a young tortoise whose eye was scratched by a cat and had to be REMOVED. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-sulcata-tortoise-unfortanute-accident.113112/ Poor thing is recovering great now.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You can have any other oet you want, as long as you keep them away from your tortoise. Thetortoise should have its own enclosure anyway, so there should be a problem keeping a kitten away from him.
Thanks a lot your advice. My tort obviously does have its own enclosure, but wouldn't a kitten's mere presence annoy a tort?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of us have other animals then just our tortoises. I would keep the kitten out of the torts enclosure. Some cats don't even care there is a tort present. Keep the cat from going into,the torts area and the tort will be just fine.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Can your tortoise look out of the enclosure? If it can't see the kitten it won't be annoyed.

Prairie Mom

My tortoise does SEE my cats often and they SEE my tortoise. I keep my cats indoors, but have an outdoor cat pen that they access out in the back yard whenever they want. My tortoise regularly sees the cats in their pen and often on his way to and from morning soaks inside etc. My tortoise just occasionally looks at them with interest. He has no problem at all. I think they're decent tortoise television at a safe distance:) And I know the cats love to watch our Sulcata outside too! -Just wait until she's bigger than you, guys!!
small seashell enclosure.jpg small mavis pavers.jpg

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I think yes.
When a cat gets onto the terrace where Tidgy walks in the day, Tidgy looks decidedly worried sometimes and completely uninterested other times. The cats the same. But Tidgy is never left unattended, even for a moment and the cat is chased away before we discover what would have happened!
But for a covered outdoor or indoor enclosure, there should be no problem, as far as I can see.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can your tortoise look out of the enclosure? If it can't see the kitten it won't be annoyed.
OK a tort can't see outside its enclosure, but I believe that it can feel that something/somone annoying is around. That's the last thing I would want to do: annoy, irritate my beloved tort.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
OK a tort can't see outside its enclosure, but I believe that it can feel that something/somone annoying is around. That's the last thing I would want to do: annoy, irritate my beloved tort.
I don't think so. Rather unscientifically I do believe in animal empathy to some extent, but if the tort can't see it I don't believe it could pick up feelings from the cat. Even if it were possible, as long as the cat wasn't in a furious mood, I don't see why it would worry the tortoise.
But if in any doubt, don't do it, or you'll be worried all the time, even if your pets are fine!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
In an outside enclosure they are surrounded by birds and other animals and are not annoyed. But my former torts were very annoyed when they SAW other animals near them. Especially cats, they hated them and attacked as fast as they could. I had to change the enclosure so the torts couldn't see through the fence anymore. ;)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think so. Rather unscientifically I do believe in animal empathy to some extent, but if the tort can't see it I don't believe it could pick up feelings from the cat. Even if it were possible, as long as the cat wasn't in a furious mood, I don't see why it would worry the tortoise.
But if in any doubt, don't do it, or you'll be worried all the time, even if your pets are fine!
As I mentioned, I am still thinking of the kitten. I have not yey made my mind up. Personally, I think that all living creatures are able to feel, don't you? Plus, have you read Praire Mom's alert? The tort can see the cat. I have a feeling that it would worry my tort because torts don't like and don't want company.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I think it would be ok, if the the kitty can't actually get at him. I mean let's be honest, would a tortoise never encounter another animal in the wild? I doubt it. I have little kids which I think is probably the same or worse! He will get used to the cat.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Well, I guess some torts are annoyed by cats, others are not. But even if they can "feel" them (I don't really believe that), I don't think they care about other animals that they can't see.
Is your tortoise annoyed when you bring it outside? I'm sure there are always other animals arround it, even if there are just birds in the trees. If it isn't annoyed even though it can feel them, then a cat would be okay too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As I mentioned, I am still thinking of the kitten. I have not yey made my mind up. Personally, I think that all living creatures are able to feel, don't you? Plus, have you read Praire Mom's alert? The tort can see the cat. I have a feeling that it would worry my tort because torts don't like and don't want company.
I read that alert post a while ago. A horrible event for sure. But Prairie Mom keeps many cats, but safely away from her torts though they can see each other. See her other post above. As I say my Tidgy is ok sometimes seeing cats and other times hides in her shell, but Prairie Mom suggests seeing the cats is like TV for her tort! And yes, I too am saying they can feel.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well, I guess some torts are annoyed by cats, others are not. But even if they can "feel" them (I don't really believe that), I don't think they care about other animals that they can't see.
Is your tortoise annoyed when you bring it outside? I'm sure there are always other animals arround it, even if there are just birds in the trees. If it isn't annoyed even though it can feel them, then a cat would be okay too.
We seem to have reached somewhere at this point. When I take my tort out for "a walk" in the sun, I often notice that when it sees a cat, it looks frightened,stops moving and pulls its head into its shell. I would be standing there like a...bodyguard!