Can you identify this turtle

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
Someone just gave the upper right turtle to sister and we are trying to figure out what it is. It's not an ornate like the lower left one, any ideas?uploadfromtaptalk1434415018604.jpeg

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Can you get a close up on it it might be some kind of wood turtle but I am not sure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like there are more than three toes on the back foot, so I'm thinking it is a Terrapene ornata luteola or desert box turtle.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Someone just gave the upper right turtle to sister and we are trying to figure out what it is. It's not an ornate like the lower left one, any ideas?View attachment 134594
It's a box turtle, not a wood turtle. Both of those box turtles are fine looking wild box turtles.
They show no sign of any holding in captivity for any period of time.
It's impossible to tell from the picture what type of box turtle it is without more information on its origin. Do you have any information about where it came from? The most commonly available commercially is the three-toed box turtle, Terrapene carolina triunguis, a form of eastern box turtle that occurs across the Midwest. But there are many intergrade box turtles out there as well. More pictures or information please?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It looks like there are more than three toes on the back foot, so I'm thinking it is a Terrapene ornata luteola or desert box turtle.
The number of toes threw me at first but then thought one was a shadow claw on the right foot so asked for more pictures. The number of claws on a three-toed can fool you though. They often have four.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
The lower left if my sisters ornate that she has raised for years in new mexico. The one in the upper right was just given to her by a neighbor who said it was living in her yard.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
It's a Desert Box Turtle. I've had mine for about 15 years now, rescued as an adult when her owner could no longer care for her. Quite a personality and very active compared to my 3-toed.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It looks to me like a Gulf Coast box turtle.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Someone just gave the upper right turtle to sister and we are trying to figure out what it is. It's not an ornate like the lower left one, any ideas?View attachment 134594
I know that Terrapene ornata luteola is less colorful than Terrapene ornata ornata. But that turtle looks more in the Terrapene carolina complex;
both head and leg shape.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The number of toes threw me at first but then thought one was a shadow claw on the right foot so asked for more pictures. The number of claws on a three-toed can fool you though. They often have four.

I think you're right about the shadow. I agree on the triunguis.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry to change the subject, but shouldn't you quarantine the new one for a bit? It could have parasites or some disease that could transfer to the other one.
You certainly should. For the health of both animals they should be kept completely apart for a good 6 months in quarantine... and mixing species is generally not recommended at all due to differing care conditions and disease resistance.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm so green in this............Lots to learn! ! !

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I still think it looks like a gulf coast box turtle, or maybe a gulf coast/three toed integrade.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Thank you all for the input, I will pass along the info to her. I believe they are separated and the photo was just for comparison.

On a side note, she brought me something....uploadfromtaptalk1434549721575.jpg

She hatched this one last spring. Since I only have Russians this will be my first turtle. Very excited.