Carapace scutes concave

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, OK
I have decided after much research to get a sulcata tort. there is currently a young one in the local pet store that has two scutes on its carapace that are slightly concave, whereas the rest are just slightly convex. I have two leading theories: 1.) lack of proper nutrition/lighting and 2.) something was dropped on it or it was stepped on. I was wondering how possible these are and if anyone had another idea. In any case is this anything I should worry about?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd love to see it. Can you post a pic?

Either way I would not recommend one from a pet store, if you have to question whether or not it's okay. There are some good pet stores out there, but concave scutes doesnt sound like a quality animal to me. There are half a dozen reputable breeders here on the forum that sell them all the time and they are ALL healthy, well hydrated, fed right, sunned and with no shell deformities of any kind. They will probably be significantly cheaper than a pet store too.

I have a bunch for sale right now and I'm pretty sure some other members do too. Check of the ads in the for sale section or PM me for details.

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
Tom said:
I'd love to see it. Can you post a pic?

Either way I would not recommend one from a pet store, if you have to question whether or not it's okay. There are some good pet stores out there, but concave scutes doesnt sound like a quality animal to me. There are half a dozen reputable breeders here on the forum that sell them all the time and they are ALL healthy, well hydrated, fed right, sunned and with no shell deformities of any kind. They will probably be significantly cheaper than a pet store too.

I have a bunch for sale right now and I'm pretty sure some other members do too. Check of the ads in the for sale section or PM me for details.
Thank you, I actually bought him as sort of a rescue he was not doing well there at all. They had him in sand, red heat lamp 24/7 (which caused burns), and where feeding him lettuce and store bough veggies. I will get some pics up in just a minute...

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
Here are the pics! On the carapace the middle two scutes are concave but the shell does not seem to be... also on the plastron there is some sort of concave on a few of the scutes....

Attachments

• Boulder concave carapce.jpg
    Boulder concave carapce.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 193
  • Boulder concave plastron.jpg
    Boulder concave plastron.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 137

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think you did a wonderful save....sometimes when we save we do it with the heart....sometimes we end up with a long lived animal and other times we have assured a better set up for the animals days here....good job.

I do not think that the shell is so bad anyway, likely this tort would benefit GREATLY from outside sun, fun and exercise time...you have a few more weeks that this is possible before we go to the cooling off time...so I would get that tort out as often and for as long as possible...

He appears a bit dehydrated and so some daily long warm water soaks would be beneficial as well....

Do you have a set up already in play for his enclosure/yard? :D

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
ascott said:
I think you did a wonderful save....sometimes when we save we do it with the heart....sometimes we end up with a long lived animal and other times we have assured a better set up for the animals days here....good job.

I do not think that the shell is so bad anyway, likely this tort would benefit GREATLY from outside sun, fun and exercise time...you have a few more weeks that this is possible before we go to the cooling off time...so I would get that tort out as often and for as long as possible...

He appears a bit dehydrated and so some daily long warm water soaks would be beneficial as well....

Do you have a set up already in play for his enclosure/yard? :D
Thank you!, I definitely feel good about being able to improve his quality of life. Yes to your question, we have an indoor enclosure with plenty of room to roam...for now and soon we will hopefully have a tortoise table built. We have also been taking him out for "walks" in the yard. Apparently our neighbors vegetation is far better than ours lol.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Apparently our neighbors vegetation is far better than ours lol.

LOL....of course....oh, I would make conversation with the neighbor;

"Hi, so our tortoise loves to tidy up your stray plants and I just wanted to make sure that you please don't use any pesticides/insecticides as that would not be good for tort"

LOL...

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
ascott said:
Apparently our neighbors vegetation is far better than ours lol.

LOL....of course....oh, I would make conversation with the neighbor;

"Hi, so our tortoise loves to tidy up your stray plants and I just wanted to make sure that you please don't use any pesticides/insecticides as that would not be good for tort"

LOL...
LOL, I do know for certain they dont thats why I felt confident in letting Boulder graze around.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with the above posts!
Good rescue! Lucky tortoise!
Proper food, sunlight and excercise sound good.
Good work!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So about three years ago I took in a rescue sucata that was 7 yrs. old. The poor thing was the size of a soft ball and only weighed in at 189grams. I provided wonderful care for this little one but she passed around the July 4 this year. The logical side of me says I couldn't save her, the emotional side says something about magical healing properties of some one who cares.
A vet friend pointed out that I couldn't undue 7 yrs. of bad husbandry, and that I need to be at peace with the opportunity to give her a wonderful final 3 yrs.
Some times you rescue as a final, long term home, sometimes as a hospice.

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
kathyth said:
I agree with the above posts!
Good rescue! Lucky tortoise!
Proper food, sunlight and excercise sound good.
Good work!

Thank you, hopefully soon he will become less afraid of me and I can get more pics up!

Cowboy_Ken said:
So about three years ago I took in a rescue sucata that was 7 yrs. old. The poor thing was the size of a soft ball and only weighed in at 189grams. I provided wonderful care for this little one but she passed around the July 4 this year. The logical side of me says I couldn't save her, the emotional side says something about magical healing properties of some one who cares.
A vet friend pointed out that I couldn't undue 7 yrs. of bad husbandry, and that I need to be at peace with the opportunity to give her a wonderful final 3 yrs.

Thats really sad, Im sorry to hear that but I would be willing to bet she was very happy those last few years! I hope that it will be a permanent home 'till we'er both old and wrinkly lol.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Cowboy_Ken said:

Cowboy_Ken, your words got to me for some reason and I teared up a bit. Such true words. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Justin and Amelia:

I've never seen reverse pyramiding on a sulcata baby. That's very interesting.

I've seen it on Manouria (rain forest type tortoise) that was getting too much moisture in his habitat.

At any rate, its nothing to worry about. I really doubt there was an injury to the baby. There is quite a bit of growth going on, it just might be that the tortoise was fed too much with no exercise.

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
emysemys said:
Hi Justin and Amelia:

I've never seen reverse pyramiding on a sulcata baby. That's very interesting.

I've seen it on Manouria (rain forest type tortoise) that was getting too much moisture in his habitat.

At any rate, its nothing to worry about. I really doubt there was an injury to the baby. There is quite a bit of growth going on, it just might be that the tortoise was fed too much with no exercise.

Thank you for the insight, it may be the latter because I know for certain it wasnt moisture (in the pet store at least), they had very little and no humidity. If it was moisture it would have had to have happened earlier. That is Interesting like you said, I have never heard of "reverse pyramiding" thank you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.