Caught in the act!

Team BiGi

Location (City and/or State)
Southern california
Yup , all 5 of our desert torts have skills or rabbits living in their burrow with them . I love that kind of wild life , but the torts are my babies, and I fear for them when they are deep in their burrow. When I was a kid , I was given a desert torts along with no knowledge of how to care for it, other than keep it outdoors. Long story short, poor Marty had a hard short 5 years. Chewed up by a raft and lost all nerves in his front left leg, made it through that only for my dumb a** older brother to leave the gate op3n fo4 his dog to chew literally half his shell off. Took him to the closesest local vet that deals with reptiles, but they didn't even know what they were doing. I was told to keep him indoors, so I did. Proper uv, but maybe the temp was to high and I didn't know at 12 years old. But once brought indoors, he lived with my Egyptian uromastic, named Arrudis, who would lay on Marty's shell and bask under the light together.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Our wild rabbits don't usually venture into Walkers yard, They don't need to, this is where they hang out,Picture 3455.jpg and they are so comfortable they don't run away from you.But when I leave mazuri out for Walker in the back yard the squirrels steal some though.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yup , all 5 of our desert torts have skills or rabbits living in their burrow with them . I love that kind of wild life , but the torts are my babies, and I fear for them when they are deep in their burrow. When I was a kid , I was given a desert torts along with no knowledge of how to care for it, other than keep it outdoors. Long story short, poor Marty had a hard short 5 years. Chewed up by a raft and lost all nerves in his front left leg, made it through that only for my dumb a** older brother to leave the gate op3n fo4 his dog to chew literally half his shell off. Took him to the closesest local vet that deals with reptiles, but they didn't even know what they were doing. I was told to keep him indoors, so I did. Proper uv, but maybe the temp was to high and I didn't know at 12 years old. But once brought indoors, he lived with my Egyptian uromastic, named Arrudis, who would lay on Marty's shell and bask under the light together.
Very sad story about Marty. These cottontails (I have at least 3 that come around every day) don't live in either of Chug's burrows. But I have an old pallet in the corner of the yard that I think they live under.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Our wild rabbits don't usually venture into Walkers yard, They don't need to, this is where they hang out,View attachment 242598 and they are so comfortable they don't run away from you.But when I leave mazuri out for Walker in the back yard the squirrels steal some though.
Yards like that don't exist where I live! Of the 3 rabbits that live in my yard, I think only 1 eats from Chug's food.
I also have multiple roadrunners that come by every day to drink, either from my on ground bird pan, or from Chug's dishes. I've seen them walk within 12 inches of him...they ignore him completely.