Help please !?!?

• Horsfield weight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outdoor pen help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stacey fellows

Hi
I recently acquired my very first tortoise, a horsfield. I'm unsure of his age but was told two years when I bought him ( I think male due to his tail). He weighs just 47g and fits easily in the palm of my hand - does two years fit this as an approximate?!
Also, we made him an outdoor pen for the summer days only to find out afterwards the wood was cedar and shouldn't be used for tortoises (picture enclosed), so does anyone on here have any thoughts on making this outdoor pen safe for him, was thinking of using fibreglass epoxy ? And changing the base altogether so that all that remains of the cedar is the sides, can anyone please help with any advice in the way forward here, want to save this outdoor pen if possible! Thanks sooo much in advance . Stacey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 89

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I use cedar and redwood all the time in my outdoor pen builds. Where you definitely should NOT use cedar is indoors and/or shavings as substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would change the substrate to dirt. May/straw is too drying and can mold easy and your tort already has some pyramiding.

Stacey fellows

Really pyramiding ? He has soil in his indoor enclosure where he is almost 24/07 ! So I hope not , I'll take him back for further advice I think.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think aged cedar walls in an open topped outdoor enclosure would be okay. I've never tested this theory, and I wouldn't use it, but it SEEMS like it wouldn't be an issue. To be super safe, scrap it.

There does appear to be some pyramiding going on. More pics would help to be sure. Pyramiding is cause by growth in conditions that are too dry. Even with soil in the indoor enclosure, a hot desiccating incandescent bulb takes a toll on carapace moisture.

47 grams is pretty small for two years old. I have 20 russian babies that are around a year old now and my smallest ones are 60-70 grams with some approaching 150 grams.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am definitely not an expert but maybe he really isn't two years old and should be treated more like a much younger Tortoise? For example much more humidity in the enclosure, more frequent
Soaks etc. Just an idea. I like your outdoor closure by the way.

Stacey fellows

I think aged cedar walls in an open topped outdoor enclosure would be okay. I've never tested this theory, and I wouldn't use it, but it SEEMS like it wouldn't be an issue. To be super safe, scrap it.

There does appear to be some pyramiding going on. More pics would help to be sure. Pyramiding is cause by growth in conditions that are too dry. Even with soil in the indoor enclosure, a hot desiccating incandescent bulb takes a toll on carapace moisture.

47 grams is pretty small for two years old. I have 20 russian babies that are around a year old now and my smallest ones are 60-70 grams with some approaching 150 grams.
Hi Tom
Thanks for that. I will take some more pics later for you. He does get a couple of baths a week, maybe he should've more?

Stacey fellows

Hi again
Here are two more pics of Tibs, hoping you won't say pyramiding! Help! Thnx Stacey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 40

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Baths" just don't do it. Tibs needs a moist substrate. In your picture above I see compressed hay pellets...not good at all. This is where your pyramiding is coming from. You need something you can moisten. In the real world they dig down into the earth where it is humid and slightly moist. You can't provide the necessary moisture with pellets.

Stacey fellows

Ok thanks for that, I will change it as soon as I get home! Why so they keep them in the shop with this substrate and recommend it too !? Sooo annoying!! Much appreciate ur advice, can I reverse pyramiding ?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Ok thanks for that, I will change it as soon as I get home! Why so they keep them in the shop with this substrate and recommend it too !? Sooo annoying!! Much appreciate ur advice, can I reverse pyramiding ?
Because they aren't tort experts. ;) and you can't reverse pyramiding, but you can prevent further pyramiding to help smooth the shell out. Change your substrate to something that holds humidity well and keep up with the soaks, etc. :)

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
No, not sand. I right now use Eco earth (they come in bricks - hold humidity well) but it smells like rotten eggs when I mix it (I think it's my water because nobody else has this problem). I'm switching to fine coco chips, but fine grade orchid bark is also good. I have a redfoot so I HAVE to keep humidity above 80%.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I can't imagine any young tort should be kept too dry because wouldn't their shells pyramid?? I'm not sure, though! Sorry! Hopefully someone more experienced with that species can answer that. :)