changing or cleaning substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyandDiego

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MN
I'm really new to all of this. So if I'm not doing this right forgive me...
We currently are using sand in our indoor enclosure. With a mix of cypress bark. ($$$) I now understand the risks. I'm considering changing. But I have a few questions:
How do you clean the dirt once it gets "soiled"? Or is everyone just replacing it? How often do you replace it if you do?
I liked the sand because i could just rinse it. We cannot use any soil from outside. Too many bugs living in it. I would have to use sterile soil. And the cypress mulch....how often should that be replaced?
More info would be great.
I haven't read about impaction, can you explain?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Teri:

I don't change my substrate but maybe once a year. I spot clean daily, and when it gets dry, I pour water over it and mix it all up with my hand. This keeps the substrate moving and fresh. I also don't like sand...at all...not mixed with something or not alone. just don't like it.

When a tortoise eats sand, whether on purpose or because he walked through his food and tracked sand on it, the heavy sand tends to settle to the bottom of the stomach and not move out through the "tubes" into the intestine. Eventually it will build up and block the opening so nothing can move out. Either the tortoise dies or has surgery to remove the blockage. The threat is lessened if you keep the tortoise well-hydrated, however its not always easy to get them to drink a lot of water.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto to what Yvonne said...I actually just changed out the substrate in one of the RFs indoor enclosure after about 7 months...not because I had to yet but because I had so much peat moss on hand....:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Why is cypress $$$? Here in Omaha, I can get a huge bag of it at the Home Depot or Lowes for just a few bucks. You don't need the expensive stuff from the pet shop.

My guys are inside over the winter. I spot clean daily and do a complete change about half-way through the season.

Sand seems to be an odd issue. I have used it in the past with no known problems (as part of a soil mix), and many other keepers have as well, but just as many have had problems. I don't know what makes it work or not work, but it is probably better to be safe and not use it- at least not while you are getting used to things.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
We use cypress mulch. We've only had our torts a couple months and I've changed it out completely one time. Otherwise, I just spot clean.

When I change, I just dump the old into one of my gardens.

SpeedyandDiego

5 Year Member
MN
Thanks everyone. I switched out his indoor enclosure this weekend. We found a bag of all natural cypress mulch for only $3 at our local feed store. He seems rather indifferent to the change which is GREAT!!
Thanks again!

Here's a pic of Speedy.
image-3495634346.png

Status
Not open for further replies.