Changing substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I bought some coco coir and it will be arriving in a few days. I am taking the old substrate out of my russian tortoise's indoor enclosure and preplacing it with the coir. I know nothing about it and would like all the tips and hints that I can get. I know i'm supposed to soak it until it expands, but do I mix it with stuff or not? How do I keep it moist?

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
just soak it in warm water until it expands. Don't drown it, just enough water to fully submerge the brick.
as far as keeping the humidity goes, CCoir holds moisture pretty well. Just spraying the strate and mixing it up once in a while should do the trick.

and no need to mix it with anything.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Coconut coir will expand ALOT!! I bought one brick, used it in 2 sweather box enclosures, the sleeping tank and gave a stuffed gallon size baggie full to a friend! I mixed mine with cryress mulch from Petco. I really like how the coir stays nice and moist and then under their basking spot the coir gets nice and warm. The babies love to dig in. I just spray mine with a spray bottle when I spray the babies. I have no smells, mold or anything! I hope that helps!! I think you will love it!

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
So this can be used without adding dirt or sand or something? I would prefer not to use dirt, thats what I have now, and hes always dirty

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I used to use peat moss to mix with soil, until I found the coco coir. Now I mix that with the soil, and it's just as good, if not better than the peat moss. (and I don't have to lug home those big bags of peat)

Status
Not open for further replies.