Che placement on new enclosure

Brbolton77

5 Year Member
So i picked up 2 of the iris holiday tubs they measure 2' wide, 6' long and 14" tall. I cut out the sides and put them together to make one big tub then i plan on building a wooden frame around it and adding another 12" in hieght so a total of 28" tall so i can add my lights. the question i have is should i put the che in the middle or more towards the corner for a basking spot? i will aslo have my uvb tube light and 2- 75 watt incadescent bulbs for keeping the cooler side at 75. So overall it measures 4' wide 6' long and 28" tall. Any ideas would help construction starts this weekend

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This depends on the species and what you are using the CHE for. If you are trying to build a gradient for an adult Testudo sp. then probably keep it to one side. If you are trying to maintain ambient for a tropical species you'll probably need two to spread the heat out over a greater area. Either way I recommend a thermostat to control the CHE(s) day and night.

Brbolton77

5 Year Member
Its for a baby sulcata and it will be set up on a hydrofarm thermostat to help with gradient temps

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Brbolton77 said:
So i picked up 2 of the iris holiday tubs they measure 2' wide, 6' long and 14" tall. I cut out the sides and put them together to make one big tub then i plan on building a wooden frame around it and adding another 12" in hieght so a total of 28" tall so i can add my lights. the question i have is should i put the che in the middle or more towards the corner for a basking spot? i will aslo have my uvb tube light and 2- 75 watt incadescent bulbs for keeping the cooler side at 75. So overall it measures 4' wide 6' long and 28" tall. Any ideas would help construction starts this weekend

where did you get the tubs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Man o man...that's going to be a pretty darned big enclosure. You may have to go with more than one heat source in order to heat the whole thing. I'd say maybe two CHE's and one MVB. The CHE's on either end and the MVB in the middle. You'll have to cover it for sure.

Brbolton77

5 Year Member
i got the tubs from my local meijer they were $25 each and i had a $10 off coupon so i jumped on it, i was trying not to have 2 che's i was gonna try to have it more towards the middle and then have 2 incandescent bulbs on the corners i'm still in the design construction phase i just dont want to have to change everything around once its built.