Heated box for outside enclosure

Walkers

5 Year Member
I'm finally moving my sulcata outdoors to live year round. I was given a wood box to use, 34"Wide, 17" tall and about 26" in length. I was going to use a oil filled heater but the box isn't nearly tall enough. So what's the next best option you guys think? Cane mat? Or a CHE? Or both? Thanks.

P.S. I live in SoCal so the winters are not bad

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because of the debate going on about CHE and mvb burning our torts before they are warm at the plastron level, I would go with either the cane mat mounted on a side wall or a reptile radiant heat panel, also mounted on a side wall. The mat will probably be able to withstand a sully, where the radiant heat panel would not. I don't have experience with your weather or a sully. I switched to using both the above mentioned, along with a regular light bulb for my leopard to bask under. Works much better then the mvb and CHE. This is why I am suggesting them.

Walkers

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply! I'll try using the pad then! And what about a thermostat, any recommendations? Zoomed? Or something from Lowes?

I forgot to mention, the box is not insulated so will the heat pad provide the necessary heat? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would pm Tom about that. He lives in Cali and he does insulate his night boxes. He also uses the oil filled radiators. Not sure what your temps are compared to his.