CHE question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
I have a Zoo Med 100w CHE that I got when adopting some EBTs. Would it be ok to use this in a Flukers brand clamp dome (10 1/2") rated for up to 250w incadescent and CHE bulbs? This is all the pet store has available and I'm trying to raise temps for sick EBTs. I have never used heat/light sources for reptiles before as they live outdoors in a large enclosure.

The pet store does not have any reptile thermometers or humidity gauges in stock. Would an aquarium thermometer or a regular thermometer work ok for now?

Also, how far above the enclosure should I mount the CHE/clamp dome?

I apologize for not having researched this before now and for all the questions. Thank you, in advance, for your time and advice.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think that would work. I would try the CHE at 18" above the substrate then move up or down as the temperature needs adjustment. I would also test the temperature of the fixture to make sure it's not overheating. I'm not sure what the high range for the fixture would be, but probably 250 degrees would be safe as a guess. Hopefully, someone with direct experience will chime in regarding the safe temperature for the fixture.

For your temps get a temperature gun from any hardware store. Just don't point it at your torts eyes.

Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as the wattage of the fixture is big enough for the CHE and it has a ceramic socket it should be fine. I buy my dome fixtures from Home Depot. Also, you will have to play with the height of it until you get the temp that you want. Also, an aquarium thermometer I don't think will be accurate, but you should be able to find one at a hardware store of Home Depot. A point and shoot temp gun is the best and probably the most accurate.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you both very much for your help and advice. I really appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.