CHE?

Jeskie

5 Year Member
Can I use only a 100W CHE bulb to heat my tortoise encloser? I'm wanting to replace the basking bulb cause I feel its hurting his eyes

Jeskie

5 Year Member
Can I use a 100W CHE bulb instead of a basking bulb to heat the enclosure? I feel it's hurting my leopards eyes

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I use a 100 watt MVB during the day which is on a timer and provides heat and basking opportunities. If the temp drops too low, I've got a CHE on a thermostat. If during the day the temps drop, the CHE kicks on. And at night it provides the heat and darkness needed for proper slumber.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only light we have found so far that hurts tortoises yes are the coil type or compact fluorescents, that I know of anyway. A good combo to use is what Ken mentioned. Unless you can get your tort outside for natural uv a few times a week then you may need both.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Instead of the CHE, I would add some plants, either fake or real, to give some shady spots and relief from the "sun."

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Can you show us a picture of the enclosure, state its dimensions and the species and age of the tortoise you have? This info will help others give you a better answer.

Jeskie

5 Year Member
20gal aquarium. I just went and bought wood to build one twice as big. He is around 3.5 months old. Leopard tortoise

Attachments

• 1401328865501.jpg
    1401328865501.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 35