Check list before getting Greek Tortoise?

Astrochelys

Wanted to double check my list to see if I was missing anything before I dive into getting a baby Greek Tortoise:

Food:
-Broadleaf Testudo Mix (will get two weeks before getting Tortoise to have it grown out enough to clip) Also, how many pots should I have it growing in to keep up food supplies? Can I mix in storebought every now and then?
-Mazuri Tortoise Diet
-Cactus Pads when available

Enclosure:
-3’x3’ plywood enclosure lined with shower curtain lining and lid on half to retain humidity and will make bigger as tortoise grows
-Coco coir substrate
-Sphagnum moss to help retain humidity
-Hide with sphagnum moss as well

Heating:
-Zoo Med 18" Repti Sun 5.0 UVB bulb
-https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-75-...Light-with-5-1-2-in-Shade-HD-200PDQ/205139241 (but will put a grill cover over open side and lay it on top so it’s not clipped on) Also what king of bulb would you recommend?
-Zoo Med Repti Temp Digital Infrared Thermometer
-will take outside for an hour a day after work

How does this list look so far? Anything you would recommend?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I’d start growing now they eat a ton. A large flower bed and several pots will be helpful. You’ll also need two plant saucers for food and water and possibly cypress or orchid bark for over the coir. Coir is messy and gets in the water, in their eyes, in the food, and everywhere else.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’d also consider closing the entire thing you’ll never maintain heat and humidity in a half open enclosure. What are you using for heat?

Astrochelys

I’d start growing now they eat a ton. A large flower bed and several pots will be helpful. You’ll also need two plant saucers for food and water and possibly cypress or orchid bark for over the coir. Coir is messy and gets in the water, in their eyes, in the food, and everywhere else.

Got it. I won’t have a flower bed, but I can get a bunch of plastic pots (staying in an apartment). Can I feed half store bought/half weeds diet with some mazuri diet? With the orchid/cypress bark, does it retain water well? Also if it’s half covered, should I wait for to dry up before moistening it again? Or should I always have one side moist regardless?

Also, I plan on spraying the Tortoise a couple times a day as wel.

Astrochelys

I’d also consider closing the entire thing you’ll never maintain heat and humidity in a half open enclosure. What are you using for heat?

My bad, didn’t mean half, meant more like 3/4 or more (covered) like this.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-6361.html

What kind of light would you recommend that’s both UV and heat?

I’m also planning to keep UVB lights only in the winter since I’ll be taking the Tortoise out for thirty minutes a day when weather allows.

Last edited:

daniellenc

Maryland
My bad, didn’t mean half, meant more like 3/4 or more (covered) like this.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-6361.html

What kind of light would you recommend that’s both UV and heat?

I’m also planning to keep UVB lights only in the winter since I’ll be taking the Tortoise out for thirty minutes a day when weather allows.
MVB’s do both but can’t be controlled on a thermostat and get too hot. I’d use a 100 watt CHE on thermostat and mount tube style UVB lights. That way you have UVB and light all in one. I’d also reconsider having any open chamber. Spraying alone won’t prevent pyramiding.

Astrochelys

MVB’s do both but can’t be controlled on a thermostat and get too hot. I’d use a 100 watt CHE on thermostat and mount tube style UVB lights. That way you have UVB and light all in one. I’d also reconsider having any open chamber. Spraying alone won’t prevent pyramiding.

I would also be soaking them at least once a day in warm water for 20 min. I can make a closed chamber as well, just wondering what I should use to cover the pvc (shower curtain?).